Wednesday, October 02, 2019

The Diagnosis is In

Diverticulitis is inflammation or infection of small pouches called diverticula that develop along the walls of the intestines. The formation of the pouches themselves is a relatively benign condition known as diverticulosis. The more serious disease, diverticulitis, may involve anything from a small abscess in one or more of the pouches to a massive infection or perforation of the bowel.
That diagnosis is what the ultrasound suggests, and it seems to be consistent with my symptoms. However, I am awaiting a CT Scan to confirm.

The doctor, herself, and not her assistant, which is telling, called yesterday morning to pass along the news and the immediate course of treatment. I do stress immediate as she put me on antibiotics right away. This was accompanied by dire warnings to proceed directly and swiftly to ER (and I don't mean Elizabeth Regina) should symptoms worsen. These things can perforate, doncha know. Yikesorama, Mama!

I am on not one but two strong antibiotics. Without going into detail, let me say that the staggering of the two pills and the observing their separate protocols requires much study, While I was out picking up the kids for supper yesterday, Sue devoted her considerable organizational skills to making up a chart.

So it was that I knew that my first pill (of today) was to be taken at 6:30. And it was. With food. Yes, okay, got it.

The second pill will be swallowed at 10 o'clock with no dairy products etc 6 hours before or 2 hours after said swallowing (along with other conditions as if that weren't enough). Got that, AC?

A potential side effect of both is a headache, and I can confirm that is indeed the case. Sadly.

Oh, and a another restriction of pill #2 is that I must stop taking my sleeping pill.

This puts me in the situation of being awake for much of the night. This is why I take a sleeping pill in the first place — to achieve some semblance of a normal life, trying to keep in some sort of harmony with what normal people in my life are doing.

Fortunately, I managed a few fitful hours early-on last night and another so-so hour from 4 to 5 o'clock. I did get some book reading, via audio, done during some of the awake hours.

This must go on for two whole weeks! Expect my already dark circles to intensify. I may resemble Rocky Raccoon by the time this is over.

But I am thankful that the doctor is on the case and hopeful that I will soon be rarin to go.




15 comments:

Should Fish More said...

I imagine your doc talked about diet also, foods to avoid that can get 'trapped' in the little pouches.....Good luck, it's usually treatable with the antibiotics and change in diet.

Country Gal said...

Sorry to hear this . My mother-in law was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago and was diagnosed by a colonoscopy which is routine here for finding this type of thing .She has had to change her entire diet so no flareups and now she has a grip on it but at first it was tough . I hope all goes well and you can manage it well .

MARY G said...

Bummer! Looking forward to dawn photos with acid comments. And wishing you a speedy return to health and your regular meds.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

So sorry to hear this, and sorry about the complicated way you need to take the meds you need. Good thing Sue is on the job!
I hope you feel much better, soon.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry to hear about all this stuff that's happening with your gut. I've paid for parts of a Gastro-Doc's last purchases by now, and still am just diagnosed with gastritis and irritable bowel syndrome. As they say, getting old ain't for the faint of heart.

Mage said...

I'm really sorry about the loss of sleep, but it is worth staying alive. I'm so glad you now know what it is. I'm taking "Midnight" and two of those work really well for over the counter.

Vicki Lane said...

Yikes! So sorry to hear this. My husband had a bout of it a couple of years ago -- serious no fun. Hoping things return to normal soon!

Marie Smith said...

I hope you respond well to the meds and you are back to your regular self soon, AC.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully the treatment process goes smoothly for you.

Haddock said...

Oh no.........headache......

Jenn Jilks said...

John, I'm so sorry!
Such a shame not sleeping. I take cannabis for that. I don't know if that is an option. It's tax deductible if its meds and on a Rx.
I wondered that you went home early from a gig with your girls. Take care.

Joanne Noragon said...

"...losis" changed to "...litis" for me, a few years ago. I took my medicine, in all senses, and am fine today.

Tabor said...

I have intermittent insomnia and once or twice a month rely on an over-the-counter aide and other times I take Melatonin. Eventually, you will get tired and sleep better. Keep walking as that also helps aid in sleep. You have the cause and that is half the battle. I am sure they will resolve all of this.

Christina said...

Oh dear, that sounds like an unpleasant two weeks ahead... but diverticulitis can be serious condition and treatment is no doubt the best option. My mum was hospitalised once as a result of her chronic diverticulitis. Good luck!

P.S. I had an ultrasound scan myself this morning, bumped up the waiting list by a few weeks due to a cancellation. The bucket of water was not fun...

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh goodness, that pill regime sounds like a pain. A fortnight is not that long, thankfully, and I'm really glad you're getting treatment and have a tentative diagnosis. It's good that they are on your case.