Tuesday, February 20, 2024

White Night Lights

Sue required a night photo, so we headed to the bridge to photograph the lights. You have seen the special colour displays several times over the past year, but what we didn't know was that they routinely light with plain white lights at other times.

I ran into trouble right away when I discovered that my tripod had lost a piece and was, therefore, dysfunctional. I resorted to hand-holding the camera at a high ISO and slow shutter speed, and the results were acceptable.


You may recall that I prefer to shoot night lights when there is still some colour in the sky, but after editing for colour, I converted it ↑ to mono on a whim.  It turned out that I rather liked the black sky for b&w, which tends to lend itself to high contrast images. Here ↓ is another photo that I also initially processed with colour in mind but then converted to mono in the end.


Sue and I parted for a few minutes. She walked over to take photos on the other side of the bridge while I decided to to stash my useless tripod in the car and drive over to meet her. I took the following photo from where I had parked the car.


It was at that point that I lost my car keys. I checked my pockets and the car seats about three times before finding them on the ground, beside the car. Phew!

Meanwhile, Sue was not having much success on the other side, for she couldn't get past the snowbanks from snow clearing over there.

Between a broken tripod, lost keys, and a lack of accessibility, it was not the finest of outings. I picture returning, unencumbered by hats, boots, mitts, coats, and a functional tripod on a deliciously warm summer eve when we can take our sweet time taking whatever photos that our little, beating hearts desire.

24 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Glad the keys were found. Some good photos of the night time version of the bridge & building.

Marie Smith said...

I never venture forth at night to take photos. Hmmm…

Barbara Rogers said...

Some great photos of bridge and big building beyond. I'd like to see those same shots in daytime...or have I already?

DJan said...

Interesting work arounds you made on a winter's night.

Ed said...

Maybe you need to get a monopod. Less parts to lose.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like your thinking! These are the last dark days of winter.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara: I have posted photos of the bridge and townhall, but the lights aren't on during the day.

Marcia said...

The first photo has a spooky look to it. Neat!

Sandra said...

I like the B&W photos. Panic would have been coursing through my body over lost keys.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh you got some fine shots, despite the setbacks! I'm always here for the monochrome. BTW I once lost my right-hand diamond ring while photographing a cemetery. But I found it. The ring, I mean. Long story with a happy ending. xoxo

Margaret said...

I'm always terrified when I can't find my keys even though I have a spare set at home. The hassle would be awful! Night shots are eerie and have their own ambiance.

Jeanie said...

Not every outing is a hit but the nice thing is that this is local -- so not expensive to return when the weather and all is better!

RedPat said...

It was good that you got home in one piece! Love the reflection of the bridge in the water in the B&W.

Kay said...

Your black and whites give it kind of a mysterious, spooky look. Very artistic.

Granny Sue said...

Oh boy, one of those nights.

PipeTobacco said...

That first photo is especially pleasing to my eyes!!!! I love the detail of the architecture!

PipeTobacco

Luis Serrano said...

Un excelente trabajo de fotografías nocturnas con ese maravilloso aporte que conceden los reflejos y un buen gusto total. Abrazo

peppylady (Dora) said...

An elegant photo. If possible love see the inside.

Vicki Lane said...

Despite your troubles, those are some fine photos.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nevertheless, some decent shots.

roentare said...

The black and white shot turns out fine there.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great B&W images. For handheld at night, amazingly well done!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The first two shots with the bridge and its reflection looked very atmospheric. i agree with your assessment that the B&W works better. Hope the missing tripod part can be found and glad the keys were found.

MARY G said...

Mosquito time, in the halcyon dimness you describe.
For handheld, these are amazing. Good stuff there, in spite of trauma. My brother-in-law once lost his keys, he thought, on one of our woodland trails. Great searching ensued. We found them in the outhouse.
Hey, two melting days forecast.,