Wednesday, February 07, 2024

February Nothings

February may not be totally nothing because JJ did celebrate his 15th, and that is a fine thing, indeed. We also visited a restaurant with friends, but life mostly feels like nothing. Winter needs to either reassert itself properly or begone, but neither will happen, or not for long.

The birthday gathering at the restaurant: us five and two friends.

Life generally is dull and drab. Walks are either in the dull neighbourhood or in drab downtown. I took this ↓ photo of townhall looming over the Moore  House as a prelude to a better photo in better weather with a better camera. I would need to return early on a summer morning when I can claim a good vantage in the parking lot. I was working around parked cars on that day with nothing but my little compact camera.

I think that I might be able to take a decent photo under different circumstances.
I know it's hard to imagine from this, but I think I see it in my mind.

Sue was looking for reflections in downtown windows. She took a few. She didn't use any.


We did go into the city with our friends for fish and chips. The Glen serves the best battered fish: light and flakey, yet still crispy, although their fries are ordinary. Somehow, two years had elapsed since we were last there with B and B.

Bob, who is at least partly of Irish descent and who loves all things Irish, consumed a Guinness and was left with a frosty mustache.


Sue and I shared a tiny dessert, a delish white chocolate and lemon cheesecake. At $9 it was eye-watering expensive, but it's been two years since we last visited, so what the heck.


Sometimes, the blahs overtake us. It can't be helped, for our body and brain chemistries will work their work, not to mention the reality that is February. It will all right itself in due course.


23 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

I always think of February as the hardest month for us Northeners (and I use that term a bit incorrectly for Southern Canadians too :) ) because any hope of Spring still is so far off.

People in the Southern US are already experiencing Spring and I feel jealous.

I still find it surprising that JJ is only 15. He has a more mature countenance.

I would enjoy having a Guinness mustache like Bob…. delicious stuff! :)

PipeTobacco

DrumMajor said...

It's confusing everywhere. My tulips are up 1 to 2 inches?! And there's a chance of snow on Saturday. Root for the Kansas City Chiefs! That should cheer you up! Linda in Kansas

Margaret said...

I don't like Guinness but give me its red ale equivalent Smithwicks, also from the Guiness brewery. Yum, yum--too bad I don't have a moustache to decorate. You're getting out and about and taking some photos as well as celebrating special birthdays; that's excellent and positive!

Ed said...

It is hard to find even a cheap meal for under $9 today so I'm not surprised, especially since it is obviously a lot better quality than a under $9 meal.

Patio Postcards said...

That shared cheesecake looks quite yummy. I am back to solo walks about the neighbourhood with all the greyness.

RedPat said...

You seem to be feeling the same way about February as I am. I can hardly wait until spring.

Red said...

Yes winter will give us the blahs from time to time. You're not the only one with blahs. However one sunny day will do wonders to take the blahs away.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've decided February/March is another season completely separate from winter and spring. Since it is so dreary I give it "Later Winter" rather than any hope for spring...there is about an inch of daffodil shoots showing here. But freezing each night, then into the 50s each day...I never know which coat to wear when I go out! If I leave in the morning, I'm sweating by the time I come home after noon. Sigh. If only world problems were solved as easily as taking my coat off when it's too hot.

Jeanie said...

February is.... well, it's February. And it's short, so that's always a plus! At least you're seeing people, doing a few fun things and eating well!

Boud said...

Your life is packed with people and outings! More than I've done in years. But I guess for you February is still a dull time.

Cloudia said...

You have a talent for filling your life with meaningful moments. I have to say that after spending almost four years in northern california, i understand that I can live in nowhere but Hawaii. The winter is would just do me in. We do have rainy periods here in the winter but then the sun will come out and make everything okay. Thank you for your comments and visits. Aloha!

Cloudia said...

Been back home in Hawaii since May of 2019

DJan said...

The good thing about that dessert is that nobody will get fat on such a tiny little thing! :-)

Sandra said...

We share some blog friends so I decided to look in on your blog. Your life doesn't look dull from here, I could show you mundane! Hopefully the cheesecake was as good as it looks. The photo of the family looks happy.

Marie Smith said...

The second week in February too! Time is whizzing by.

roentare said...

I guess we all crave for human connections. You have a lovely group.

Debby said...

Oh, I totally understand the blahs!!! Tis the season. I think my blahs could be helped with that little cheesecake thing-y though. Feel better soon!

Debby said...

PS: walking today, we saw what appeared to be a small flock of grackles. If this is true, spring is surely coming.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I love a festive birthday dinner, with much togetherness! A belated but no less sincere many happy returns to JJ. I hear you re: the February blahs. Our February has been tricky so far. It's warmish here but nothing is blooming yet. Supposed to be 72 degrees on Saturday! xoxo

peppylady (Dora) said...

I really like fish and chips. When I was in British Columbia I saw some people dipping there fries/chips in apple cider vinegar. Do people do that there?

MARY G said...

Yes, well, it IS February, even if the temperature has gone crazy. I was cloud watching yesterday and they were sailing in from the south east. Never happens. Um, almost never. Remember the ice storm. Same direction. I know because of the trees we lost.
I am looking out old photos and working on colour. This may take until March.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Despite your protestations about nothing going on in February, you had a nice gathering with family and then an outing with friends so I would term that as good things in a dull month. As for your tiny cheesecake dessert, it did look delicious and in response to your comment on my post showing a photo of the tall cake dessert we shared. It was very good, but also pricey at $13, up from the $11 price I remember a few months ago. But, then we do not go out often and splurge on a dessert so there's that and also we did share as you and Sue did.

Kay said...

I'm not a beer drinker, but we were at a pub in Dublin last year and I had it for the first time. I was surprised that I would like it.
Your cheesecake sounded delicious, but yes... wow! It is expensive.