Sunday, February 04, 2024

Sunset Sequence

With nothing to post from our now banal walks, I was more than ready to give blogging a miss for day or three. It's okay because my goal is not to post daily although I seem to almost do that. Almost, but not quite. 

While I sit at the computer in my den, I can gaze to my left into our west-facing bedroom, or at least the window faces west. Sometimes the light, particularly late light, catches my eye.

At about 4:20 yesterday afternoon, I thought the sky was looking good (better in life than in the ↓ photo). For whatever reason, I grabbed my compact camera. It's a Canon G7 with a decent zoom, and it has the controls of a bigger camera. But of course, it isn't as good, and I seldom pick it up. With the big beast downstairs, this time I did use it.


If that ↑ had been all there was, I would not be posting this morning, but it became the unplanned beginning of a sequence. About 8 or so minutes later, around 5:03, I once again spied colour and light, so I set off  to the bedroom again.


Five minutes after that, at 5:08, the sky had changed again. (I kept shifting the composition, but the same building is somewhere in all of the photos.)


At just about sunset (5:14 ↓), the colours were shifting toward red. (In all cases, I did try my best to capture the light and colour very close to how I was actually seeing them.)


It was about 6 minutes after sunset, about 5:20, when I captured ↓ this. As expected, the best sunset photo, happened after sunset. The lesson: always stick around.


Finally, at about 5:29, 15 minutes after official sunset time, I grabbed this ↓ photo.


I did take another photo, 6 minutes later, but the show was pretty well over by then, and I have to end this somewhere.

I do think I will make it a point to carry this compact camera around for the next little while, instead of the big one. 

None of the above photos were edited; they are SOOC (straight out of the camera), except for a little straightening, for it seems to be beyond my capabilities to take a level shot. Usually, RAW photos should have some basic processing, but it was unimportant in this case.


23 comments:

Boud said...

Have we missed any Caturdays lately?

RedPat said...

How wonderful! Love these sunset shots.

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful sequence! I have the same issue with getting a level photo. My big camera, though, sits lonely in the workroom these days, as I use my phone for all my photos now. It wasn't a fancy one like you good photographers, just a Luminary z35 without any extra lenses. I did love it for years though.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are great! So glad you corrected the color, as usually windows are tinted toward green, thus giving greys of the red hues.

Debby said...

I love this series. I have a big camera, but sometimes things happen so quickly that the phone camera is the tool at hand.

Karen said...

That sunset last night treated us all to a promise of better days coming. This week is looking pretty darn good. I don't think I'll get out taking any photos though. The cold nights and spring like days with sunshine are making my trails very icy

Vicki Lane said...

Well done! That's a lovely sequence!

Marie Smith said...

Lovely captures. I love such a series!

Red said...

Surprising at how much red was in this sunset.

Cloudia said...

Yes, I always have to level my horizons as well. Very glad you posted these wonderful photos. Thank you AC Aloha

Margaret said...

The two with the most color are spectacular! Wowsa!!

Damselfly said...

Smashing sequence of photos!
Well done, AC.
Have a safe & warmer week.

DJan said...

I enjoyed seeing this spectacular sunset. I love the bright red one a few up from the last one. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This sequence only goes to show that you never do know what beauty can be seen just from looking out the window. I also have a Canon G7 bought last fall before we went on our travels. It is a nice compact camera compared to the very large 35mm SLRs and later digital SLRs I once owner and even some hybrids. I'm planning to check online for some instructions on better using it.

DB Stewart said...

Those later shots are beauts, a good lesson in patience.

Patio Postcards said...

The magnificence of a sunset captured on "film" I am encouraged that there is a slow increase in the amount of daylight hours & especially encouraged by the sunshine this weekend.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Amazing. it's hard to beat a red-sky shot, if you can capture it. My favorite is 5:14, with the red reflected in the snow. xoxo

gigi-hawaii said...

Great shots of the sky. Love the blazing colors.

roentare said...

Gloomy sky with varying density of clouds creates more unique look for dramatic photography

Catalyst said...

Yes, those final three are the best. You have a nice view from your abode.

RedPat said...

I really thought that I commented on these terrific sky shots. The sky certainly had you moving around a lot.
The woman shooting drinks etc in the pub is a pro media person for a few pubs but I don't think she does photography on its own for a living.

Jeanie said...

Skies are almost always better in life than the photos but I'd say you did that photo proud. And especially nice work with your compact. I'm with you on a level shot. Try as I may, I almost always need to straighten!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Lovely photos.