Sunday, February 18, 2024

At the Grand

At the very beginning of our Friday walk, I stopped to take this photo of the courtyard and [unused] entrance to The Grand Hotel with the still pristine, blanket of overnight snow covering the ground.


The owner/manager chanced by and invited us to come inside, wet boots and all, to look around and take some pictures. The small downstairs restaurant has just been converted to a bar lounge, so it was new to us and would be to most townsfolk. My little compact camera had its work cut out in the low light, but it did its best, and some editing in Lightroom also helped.




Upstairs was all set up for a wedding rehearsal dinner that evening. I am supposing that some of the ensemble would be staying in the hotel part of the establishment for a night or two..


This ↓ is a closeup of the little table in the far corner of the above ↑ photo.


It was a pleasant, little visit, providing us with something different in our otherwise repetitive winter walks, and I think the brave, little camera did well enough.

24 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

What a beautifully set dining table! I just love it.

DJan said...

Your camera did a great job in showing us the place.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How nice to be invited inside and even better to be able to capture photos of what looks like a grand hotel which certainly befits its name! What model Canon is your compact? I also have a compact Canon digital, G7X, and wondering if we have the same model

Barbara Rogers said...

I love the dim colors of the bar, but especially the tin ceilings! It just says it is old and is here to stay...which I hope it does. Your little town has some hidden treasures apparently! Good work with your little camera!

Debby said...

What a magnificent place! Such attention to detail!

Anvilcloud said...

@Beatrice: I have the G5X. I think you may have a longer zoom, but I am not sure how they number the models.

Marie Smith said...

That is a nice spot! A nice diversion from the winter cold, AC.

MARY G said...

Great job. I keep forgetting that the Grand is there, still. Lovely little table shot. You are a master.

RedPat said...

Such a rich warm place! Your camera did really well indeed.

Jeanie said...

This looks like a beautiful spot! I hope she offered you a bit of tea! I think the lighting works well, it's very atmospheric. Well done with your little camera. (And now that you know her, I bet she's let you back with the "big guy" if you want!

Sandra said...

Oh, my. I would love to be sitting at that bar with a martini. Very 1920s vibe, at least to me. The wedding guests are going to be very happy.

Jenn Jilks said...

Funny! When we went to CP for my haircut, we stopped right beside this place at the red light!
It looks pretty.

Cloudia said...

Very nicely done! It's great that you were invited in.

Luis Serrano said...

Un hotel acogedor y un buen refugio por lo tanto para el frio que parece hacer en el exterior.

Red said...

The visit also provided you with a very different topic for photography.

roentare said...

This one has extravagant interior and design!

Joanne Noragon said...

What a lovely place.

Margaret said...

That's a gorgeous and atmospheric place. I would love to stay there!

DrumMajor said...

How nice of the owner! Maybe access to some of your photos for marketing will barter into a free lunch? Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

AC, thanks for the reply re: your Canon model camera, the G7X has a fixed 100mm zoom.

Liz Hinds said...

It does look like a very grand hotel!

The Furry Gnome said...

I've been enjoying all your photographic efforts, just haven't figure out how to comment on my ipad. Using the desktop now and it seems to make a difference.

Kay said...

Your photos are beautiful. It all looks so elegant!

Granny Sue said...

That place is gorgeous! Certainly lives up to its name. Very nice that he invited you in to see it.