Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Sue the Tenacious and Chuffed

I am not sure how to tell this succinctly and coherently, but I shall try. I may fail at telling it interestingly, however. It is a story that highlights my wife's ingenuity and tenacity.

Let me begin with the ending, or close to it, which happens to be Sue scrabbling in the ice and snow in the park.


Now, how do I tell it from here?

Weeks ago, Sue was carrying the tripod through this park to take a selfie of some sort. It turned out that she never used it, but she did notice, at about this location, that a piece had fallen off the tripod head.

It was the little piece that I've circled in red on this ↓ photo, the bit that says, "Lock."


I'll now use this next image to show the size of it compared to her fingernail. 

Remember, it's the little circled thingie inside the little knobby thingie.

Somehow, she saw it, picked it up and put it in her pocket. We didn't realize the full ramification until later, however. That occurred on the night that I took my tripod to the bridge to shoot the night lights and realized that my tripod head was broken. The whole knobby thingie (outlined in green, up above) was gone, and that the tripod was therefore, like me its owner, dysfunctional.

After another week, and probably three weeks in total, we had lost some of the snow cover, and Sue determined that we should return to the scene of the crime, as it were, and  look for the knobby lever thingie.

If you go back to the top photo of Sue scrabbling on the path, that is where she found it. Yup, she found the little thing embedded in the ice — after several weeks! She used her handwarmers to heat the ice and the car keys to pry the knob loose.

The little divot within the red square is where it had lain embedded in the frozen snow.

We came home, and she put the tripod head back together; lo and behold, it functions once more. 

Sue is more mechanical than I (well most people are, squirrels and crows too), for while I had thought that the tiny round plate thingie was decorative, she realized that it was meant to actually hold the lever in place. It's a poor design, in my opinion, but that is how it was designed to work.

My lady was quite chuffed with herself for finding the two pieces despite the odds and then putting the the device back together into workable order.

I'd say that she had good reason to be chuffed.

And I am happy to have a functional tripod once again.




25 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Haha. Who needs Einstein? You've got Sue!

Granny Sue said...

Wow! What are the odds that she would find it?

Ed said...

I don't know if you Canadians have a national lottery like we do down south of the border but I recommend that Sue go buy a ticket for the next drawing.

DrumMajor said...

Super Sue playing in the snow! You should send this to the manufacturer, asked them to design it better, and get the new, improved tripod. Maybe they'd send an upgrade. Maybe they'd hire Sue in R&D. Maybe you can attach a cord to it so the part won't run away again. Stunning! Linda in Kansas

Sandra said...

Sue is tenacious!

Barbara Rogers said...

What a talented wife you have. I had not thought that the word "chuffed" meant a sense of admiration, somehow always thinking that it meant a bit of disappointment. I stand corrected obviously!

NGS said...

Honestly, the most impressive thing in this story is that she KNEW where it was lost! That's amazing.

Blondi Blathers said...

Good on Sue!
I'm more like you; can't make mechanical things work without a lot of futzing and failure first, and even then ... sometimes I just give up.

Marie Smith said...

My husband is the Sue of our marriage. I’d be lost without him.

Margaret said...

That's an amazing story! I would never have found it in the first place; I'm terrible at locating things. My mom was the handy person in their relationship and my late husband was the one in ours.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well she has reason to be chuffed over being so clever as to find that tiny piece! Good gracious. Most people would never even have attempted that. I'm glad all is well with your tripod once more. Now have some coffee cake to celebrate. xoxo

Vicki Lane said...

An undaunted woman! Lucky you!

RedPat said...

I'm well impressed.

The Furry Gnome said...

Yes, I'd say she should be chuffed. Too bad they couldn't put you and I back together with a little knobby thingie!

Patio Postcards said...

Well done Sue. Sue's tenacity wins the day & gets your tripod working again.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Not to besmirch anyone's manhood, but there is some expression that goes when you want something done right, ask a woman. In this case, Sue provided that was correct, so kudos to her.

roentare said...

I am using a carbon fibre tripod these days. So much easier on my arms and neck.

PipeTobacco said...

I love the word “chuffed”! I never thing to use it, but you have used it a few times, and the word is percolating to the front of my mind. I hope to find occasions soon to throw it into conversation now that I am thinking of it more. Very cool word.

PipeTobacco

Luis Serrano said...

Bueno gracias a la tenacidad de Sue tu trípode vuelve a funcionar y gracias a eso las posibilidades de hacer fotos aumentaron mucho. Dale las gracias por su empeño. Abrazo

DB Stewart said...

Everyone needs a Sue in their family; my Sue is my son who is an actual trade-certified specialized mechanic who can fix or fabricate nearly anything. Grateful for him, and also for people with extra tenacity.

DJan said...

I am very impressed indeed. And you told the story well, too. :-)

Red said...

Great for Sue to keep at it until she found it.

Jeanie said...

Well, if Sue gets around to mid-Michigan soon, I'd love to have her search for the ring that goes on the top of my bird feeder to keep it sealed and from which you hang it. I was twisting it off and it flew off my fingers yesterday. And I have searched the whole area (of course it is black around dirt and greenery and mulch). No topper... poor birds. I think you are one lucky person that Sue found that. She's amazing!

Debby said...

That is so darn cool. I hope you treated that girl to a hot beverage after all of that. You owe her!

MARY G said...

Impressive. A great story, too. Way to go, Sue.