Thursday, February 15, 2024

Bits and Bobs

Just a little of this and that today.

1. I have a new keyboard. I like it because it is backlit and the keys feel good, but some of you may have noticed that my comments to you have occasionally slipped to all caps. I am not a touch typist by any means, but this keyboard is laid out a bit differently, and somehow, when I think I am hitting the SHIFT key, I am in fact pressing CAPS LOCK. It's the same with the minus key on the numeric keyboard. I hit the lock key, just above it, instead, so I have to log back into my own computer, mid-sentence. eVIDentLY (oops) I have been typing more by memory or touch that I had thought.

2. I follow hockey, and my team gets a lot of press in French. While can often get the general gist of a short tweet, I would not try to read a full-length article. While Google Translate does a fine job, I do notice, however, that French writers use different idioms than we Anglos. While I notice them frequently, I have not been keeping  track, but here is one from yesterday: Not only did the Ducks go hunting with butter knives against the Canadian ... Of course, it means that the Anaheim Ducks didn't come properly equipped for battle on that evening. I like it.

3. Sue's prompt yesterday was to make a paper heart. Look what she came up with. She posted the second one to her group. Both are good. The red of the first suits the day more, but the orange of the second is vivid and dramatic. Well, done, my girl.



4. I made fettucine for Valentine supper last night. While I am not about to post the lengthy recipe, tuna and peas were part of the mix. I needed to use about 3 dozen dishes and pots to get everything sorted. I am sure that it drives Sue crazy. However, it was a somewhat unusual dish for us, so I am glad that I made the effort. I have seen on the grocery shelves that there is a pre-made, bottled fettucine sauce that I could purchase. Maybe I will give it a try some day, but I thought yesterday deserved the full treatment.

5. I will be meeting with the photo boys this morning. last time, Bob got confused and went on the wrong day, and then he didn't get there on the right day because he had the wrong time. We're none of us getting any younger, eh?


==== I had more, but I've cut for your benefit. ====
==== Perhaps, I'll continue, tomorrow. ====

20 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved Sue's folded paper hearts...the red was my favorite actually. Orange made me wonder too much about where that light was coming from! Never had that particular dish...but it does sound good. I have arthritis in both little fingers, which with touch type hit the shift key and often the caps lock instead. My biggest trouble is finding the "-" dash key as I often get the 0 or = instead. We could just be ee cummings people and skip capitalizing completely!

Ed said...

I made fried tilapia served over rice with a spicy alfredo sauce with shrimp. I have found those jarred alfredo sauces to be quite good, especially with a little Old Bay seasoning added to them them... and some shrimp.

Jeanie said...

Your dinner sounds terrific and I'll bet you both loved it. Can't beat a sauce that is made by hand. Bottles are OK -- but homemade is better. I love Sue's heart and the photos of it are terrific. I have a keyboard issue too with the caps. Sometimes I think I'm hitting "a" and suddenly I'm all caps!

Granny Sue said...

I enjoyed your bits and bobs, all the little things that make up daily life.
The hearts are really good. She has a real eye for the creative approach.
Your dinner sounds terrific. Some recipes do make for lots of washing up, but yours sounds well worth the effort.

Marcia said...

THose paper hearts are lovely. May have to try that next year (if I remember).

MARY G said...

We all hit the WronG keys, even when we are touch typists. Sue is amazing. The bright hearts are a tour de force. My fave French expression is ventre a terre ... forget the accents ... for 'very fast'. Gives a great pic, as does the butter knives. Although it can be annoying, I am glad the Quebecois are fighting for their language. Even if I cannot be bothered to change my keyboard, speaking of keyboards, to pick up the proper vowels.
The bottled sauces are okay, but not up to what you would make yourself, in my opinion. When I use them, I doctor them. Especially when JG is doing the washing up.
Happy day after V day.

Sandra said...

Well done indeed! I cannot pick a favorite. I took four years of French and over the years I forgot most of it. True, if you don't use it you lose it. Homemade sauce is so much better, but sometimes time constraint wins the day and I think there are probably some good sauces to buy. I have the time, so I make them.

RedPat said...

The hearts are fabulous! Well done, Sue.

roentare said...

Not only the papercraft is excellently made, but the still life photography technique is also on the dot!

Marie Smith said...

Sue was creative with great result! Well done on the meal prep, AC. I love those days when hubby makes a meal.

Margaret said...

She did those hearts? WOW, amazing! I like that you went to the extra effort. That's a special treat in and of itself. That idiom is great; I love those cute sayings in various languages.

Luis Serrano said...

Un buen trabajo de San Valentín con una sensibilidad y sutileza digna de admiración.

DJan said...

Both of those hearts are lovely! :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

I love idioms. We have a family saying, origin long lost, "like a knife through butter."
Sue is becoming quite a photographer.

Christina said...

Love a bits and bobs post! I do that all caps thing a lot, even though I am an accomplished touch typist. Maybe there should be keyboards for different sized hands?

I can't now remember what we had for Valentine's dinner, quite possibly linguine but not with tuna.

Those paper hearts are very sweet!

Cloudia said...

The paper hearts are lovely. Such a rich post chronicling a beautiful Valentine's Day. Thank you for sharing with us

Jenn Jilks said...

Good job cooking!
I made a meatloaf, which is JB's fave.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful hear4ts!

Liz Hinds said...

Lovely heart.

Kay said...

Oh wow! Good for Sue! Those are truly beautiful paper heart photos.