Monday, February 12, 2024

Forlorn February . . . along with Hope

Isn't this photo of Sue walking in the half-slush/half-ice in a dreary park on a dreary February day, just about the most forlorn sight possible? Relatively speaking, of course.

Look at the slushy but also icy path.

We had attached crampons to our boots, so we were physically able to walk the path, but it was a slog, and it was depressing. We didn't go much farther before we thought better of it. We turned about and went for a walk downtown on the clear sidewalks.

This has not been a typical February. I mean it is usually not half-and-half like this, neither winter nor spring. A regular winter is better. It's just no fun like this.

This is Eastern Ontario. If we were to drive just a little west and just a little south, we'd be in the Toronto region where all would be clear. It's odd how such a small distance puts us in a different climate zone. I don't much mind our longer, colder and snowier winters, but I am not liking this particular month too much. I suppose, however, that you may have, possibly, already gleaned this little fact from my recent and incessive whinging.

However . . . look at this ↓ bit of sweetness. 


Due to the otherwise miserable weather, it has been warm enough to cause a bit of a flow of sap, as posted by our favourite maple sugar camp. Although it won't last, it is a harbinger of the spring that is to come, and it does raise hope in our spirits. In another month or so, we will make our annual spring pilgrimage, and it will be a grand beginning to the next season. At that point, it will just be a beginning, but it will be a happy occurrence, nonetheless. 


18 comments:

DJan said...

Yes, it does look rather depressing. It amazes me how little color there is at this time of year. Your second shot shows so much more of it! :-)

Marie Smith said...

This false spring will be short lived here. Rats!

Granny Sue said...

Our maples are budding! That will end tonight, I think, as cold is expected, possibly with a few flurries. I don't mind gray days...I think it's my English heritage coming out!

Patio Postcards said...

Those few days of brilliant sunshine gave rise to hope ... the endless dreary days of January repeating in February are sinking that cheerful hope. These days like you & Sue, my walks are mostly in the neighbourhood.

Boud said...

We've had mild days and sunshine, but a large storm is forecast tomorrow, oh well.

Ed said...

I always dislike this time of the year usually, when the snow is all trampled, icy and dirty from pollutants. Totally different from those first snows that are pristine of feet, pollutants and still fluffy.

But alas, despite getting more snow this year than the last three years combined, we are without snow so all we have to look at is dormant brown grass right now.

gigi-hawaii said...

Come to Hawaii. There's color year round. A friend of mine gave me a small jug of maple syrup from Vermont, where he lived. Delicious!

Sandra said...

We haven't had a winter. Minnesota gets cold, but not this year. No snow and many 50F days so far this year. It's demoralizing. So, I hear you.

RedPat said...

It has been so grey that I haven't enjoyed walks lately. Even with no snow or ice underfoot.
A flock of about 20 robins was spotted this morning near St Clair Ave!

Margaret said...

We've had beautiful days along with rainy gray ones. More typical for spring than winter. I think it's snowing in the mountains though which makes me happy. (and relieved) Before we know it, February will be over; we're almost half-way there!

roentare said...

It is indeed a forlorn look so different from your autumn!

Luis Serrano said...

El clima no tiene caprichos extraños, no intenta hacer dañoa a nadie. Por lo contrario el hombre si que parece empeñado en hacer daño a la Naturaleza y eso lo pagamos enormemente con daños irreparables.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yesterday I passed a sugar orchard just producing away.

PipeTobacco said...

Unfortunately,my phone appears to be acting oddly again and I am having trouble posting comments here. I am trying a “back door route to see if this works.

February in our region which is close to you is a very depressing month. Your photo captured it beautifully. It reminds me of Kafka.

PipeTobacco

Cloudia said...

Spring will be a marvel!

Jenn Jilks said...

And today is Pancake Tuesday!

Kay said...

That is a rather lonely photo that you started your post with.
I've never seen a maple syrup harvest. It sounds so very interesting.

Jeanie said...

February often seems like the longest month of the year to me. This year it's flying by a bit more quickly. Which is good!