Friday, February 09, 2024

Off the Cuff

I should update you on my rotator cuff problem. My allotted time for free physio has come to an end. I could pursue more therapy privately, but I don't think it would be likely to help.

It has been two weeks since my last therapy session, and, at least I am doing better than I was after the two two-week gaps during my sessions. While I was having weekly therapy, we twice missed a week, and I did suffer more then than I have been lately. 

After the ten sessions my pain is not usually as acute as it was several months ago. I do still have a constant pain, or perhaps I should call it a background awareness* that something is amiss. I also get a lot of yips resulting in yelps when I move my arm too much and am reminded that not all is copacetic. 

I continue to sleep in my recliner with an over-sized pillow to support my arm when I want to sleep on my left side. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work, or at least not for long. Most of my sleep has to be on my right side which, oddly enough, is the injured side.

I am endeavouring to continue a few range-of-motion exercises once or twice per day, but, in accordance with my therapist's view, I have pretty well given up on the strengthening exercises as they seem to hurt more than help.

I will continue to monitor the situation but will probably revisit my doctor at some point to discuss the therapist's report and my ongoing predicament. Perhaps a cortisone shot might help sometime down the line. 

*There was something more than just ‘background awareness’ as I sat in my chair typing this post on my tablet. I am not sure why the discomfort ratchets up sometimes more than others.

13 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

It took about a year for my torn rotator cuff to heal. However, an MRI revealed arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, and synovitis -- basically, a lot of inflammation in my joint. This is getting better, though. Take ibuprofen. That will help.

DJan said...

I do hope it continues to heal up. I have a shoulder that isn't always happy, but I manage to deal with it without further injury. :-)

Debby said...

Maybe you covered this, but why don't they just do surgery? Have you had cortisone shots directly into the joint? This sounds gruesome, but my experience was that it was not. My shoulder was in so much agony that the injections didn't even register.

Anyways, you do have my sympathy. As the wife of a man who needed surgery for his rotator cuff and as a patient with an Acromion Process issue that responded, miraculously to a shot of cortisone. Chronic, unrelenting pain is a horrible thing to deal with.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have no advice for you today, AC. Sorry it hurts more sometimes than others. I am with you in growling around pain when it rears its ugly head...and interferes with sleep! Growl away!

Sandra said...

I understand. I have torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders. It does take a long time to heal, which makes life sort of miserable. Shoulders are used a lot, which we realize when there is pain. I used topical pain reliever and NSAIDS.

Vicki Lane said...

Getting older is just one damn thing after another, as my mother-in-law used to say.

Marie Smith said...

It took me six months to heal completely. It involved a lot of exercises and heat!

Red said...

If somebody understood the rotator cuff issue, he/she would become the wealthiest and most like person in the world. The Micro Manager is suffering with a torn rotator cuff.

Margaret said...

John has a similar issue and the shot and PT did help a lot...for a while anyway. It's back to being painful though and he does tend to overdo!

roentare said...

Rotator cuff injury is so common. The recovery takes a more graded and gradual pace for restrengthening.

Catalyst said...

My wife is well acquainted with the benefits of cortisone shots. They're painful to get but the relief can be great. Not sure how they'd work with a rotator cuff problem though.

MARY G said...

Cortisone shots have worked for me for neck and wrist pain. Worth a try. But I am so sorry it is lingering this way. Not fun. Plus it being February. Go and get another one of those desserts for the 14th, or maybe even two. Live dangerously.

Kay said...

I'm sorry about your rotator cuff difficulty. I know it's part of our aging, but it doesn't make it any easier knowing that. I feel like I'm constantly having PT every year or two for something.