Saturday, February 10, 2024

Responses

I don't usually respond directly to comments on my blog. If there is a question that requires a reply, I will usually either email or post on your blogs. That being the general case, I occasionally answer in my comment section too, but I don't think that anybody ever returns to check. 

But I have several questions or comments that I will reply to here.

Comment: It took me six months to heal completely. It involved a lot of exercises and heat! 

Me: Of course, this refers to my rotator cuff issue. It has been close to six months for me, and I have not made much progress. Many exercises seem to hurt more than help, so I now only do the gentle ones. I've given up on the elastic band, for example, and my therapist concurred.

Comment: Maybe you covered this, but why don't they just do surgery? Have you had cortisone shots directly into the joint? This sounds gruesome, but my experience was that it was not. 

Me: I was covered for ten physios, and I was lucky to get that. Doctors and hospitals are covered comprehensively, but ancillary services are hit and miss in terms of universal coverage although there are plenty available privately.

So yes, I will see my doctor again in the fulness of time and will ask about next steps. I have been waiting to see how therapy would go and then how I would fare after therapy was completed. The initial assessment was that this tear would not be amenable to surgery, but we'll have to see if that assessment still stands.

Comment: I really like fish and chips. When I was in British Columbia I saw some people dipping there fries/chips in apple cider vinegar. Do people do that there?

Me: I have never heard of that way to garnish fries. My personal choice is to add salt and to sprinkle plain white vinegar. I don't use ketchup or mayo. I think this is, or at least once was, the more British way, and I am only two generations removed. Three of my four grandparents immigrated from Britain, and I lived with one of them for awhile.

I leave with this photo by Sue.  Her theme one recent day was Pink.  She used a 50 year-old throw crocheted by her aunt for baby Shauna. I bought the bigger pink bear for Shauna when she was born. How sweet is that?



19 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I love the arrangement in Sue's photo!

Barbara Rogers said...

Hope you get a good fix on your shoulder...sooner or later. Sweet photo for Sue's task.

Debby said...

I love that you have your children's toys tucked away still.

Thanks. Good luck. It just seems like an awful lot of suffering to make a decision. I remember how awful my shoulder was. The pain could be sickening. One cortisone shot and I was out stacking firewood that very night. I will never forget the amazement of that.

Marcia said...

Mu husband had an MRI on his shoulder/rotator cup issues. Tears but not complete so they ruled out surgery. He did get a cortisone shot in that area yesterday instead and will see how that makes it feel going forward. Maybe that's in your future too.

Sandra said...

That is very sweet!

Margaret said...

The photo is very sweet. I was going into my younger daughter's closet the other day and spotted her childhood snuggly, Fat Duck. No easy answers to the shoulder conundrum.

RedPat said...

I love apple cider vinegar on fries. A bit tastier that regular vinegar.
Love the pink arrangement.

Boud said...

Malt vinegar every time on fries!

And yes, I do return to see if the blogger responded to my comment, because a lot do. But they might not bother if people don't come in to read. I just think it's polite to check if someone went to the trouble.

Marie Smith said...

My injury was not as serious as yours, AC. Six months and mine is completely healed.

roentare said...

Do not try rotator cuff tendon reattachment surgery as most of them do not do well regretting the operation first place. Even in the "good" hands.

MARY G said...

Very sweet. She is amazingly creative and I love every thing of hers that I see.

Red said...

I had a cortisone shot as there was infection that the cortisone could reach. It worked quite well as I can live with the discomfort I have now. Cortisone goes in the joint if there's inflammation. Surgery is done if there is actual evidence of a muscle tear.

Shammickite said...

Malt cider definitely.

Granny Sue said...

Malt vinegar on chips, oh yeah!
My mom had rotatator cuff surgery, and was very sorry for it. As I recall it was very painful and did not fix her problems, and the pain afterward was just as bad. Of course, that was over 20 years ago, and I am sure the procedures have improved. It was a new thing then.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I still have my baby blanket.

Jenn Jilks said...

That really is a sweet photo!
JB's rotator has not improved with all this therapy, as well. This is from 2020, at least.
He has had to modify his behaviour.
Old age sucks, but the alternative it to read your obit in the paper!

Jenn Jilks said...

P.S. I never go back for answers, nor answer in the post, usually. Lots of times I just forget!
I do the same: email, or comment on their blog. Or post the answer in a later post.

Kay said...

I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much physical difficulties. I've had problems with my knee and my arm (when I broke it). I just keep hoping something else doesn't pop up to cause pain too.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awwww! The pink shot is precious! xoxo