Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Clear Walking and the Baines Building

We have found an alternative for our walkies. It's a small part of the 200 km Ottawa Valley Recreation Trail along the old Canadian Pacific Railroad line. Outside of our town, most, if not all, of it is unpaved, but the section through our town is partly paved and fully paved over the bridge. On Sunday, the paved part was welcomely clear and very walkable.

The trail to the left with the derelict Baines Machine Shop in the centre, and the Little (Gillies) bridge on the right.
Doubtless, the old building will be refurbished into apartments at some future point.

I composed the Baines building to be the main subject of a sequence of photos. I know that I expressed some dissatisfaction with some of the the photos from my compact camera, but I am reasonably content with this lot. At least there is a definite subject, one that will not be very visible after the trees leaf-out. But that won't happen for awhile yet.



It's nice to have an alternative while the other trails are unfit for pedestrians. 

19 comments:

DJan said...

Glad you found a good place to walk. And I do like those pictures. :-)

Boud said...

Nice to find a walking path without ice.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work.
JB is back to walking up and down the driveway!

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved the first one best. So glad to hear you found a safe walkway! I imagine the greyness of February doesn't make for much in color.

Sandra said...

I like the Baines Building. We have no snow, I heard this morning we had 7" for the entire winter and that didn't last. This looks like a safe and pleasant place to walk.

Luis Serrano said...

Un muy buen acercamiento a esa edificación que se sitúa en un lugar privilegiado cerca del rio. Los árboles son hermosos. Buen blanco y negro.

MARY G said...

The walks in Perth are mostly clear also. Mostly. You take care.
I like the first one best, and the monotone really works.

Karen said...

Ive seen several notices that the trail is being opened in some places for ATV travel once again. We still have dummies ripping and tearing past our place on their snowmobiles - in a trail of sparks.

Blondi Blathers said...

Looks like a fine place for walking!

Kay said...

These are great photos and it really is an interesting path to walk. Looks cold though.

Marie Smith said...

Great subject for b&w!

Jeanie said...

Don't you just love clean walking? Makes me much happier to get out when it's cold! What a terrific building.

PipeTobacco said...

Oh! I really love the structure of that building! To me the second image from the end is the most captivating. The branches frame the building very attractively, IMO. What is the brand of your pocket camera again, I forget what you said you ended up getting?

PipeTobacco

peppylady (Dora) said...

My dad worked on Canadian Pacific Railroad, around Vancouver BC.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good you found a less treacherous route.

Margaret said...

I'm glad you found an alternative; I believe in the many benefits of walking outdoors!

Patio Postcards said...

Wonderful to have an alternate trail. Fantastic photos, liking the black & white.

RedPat said...

That even looks like they clear it from the snow. Good that you thought of trying it out.

Jenny the Pirate said...

These are great photos! I love the bleak wintriness and the stark tree branches against the old house! Monochrome is the bomb. Well done. xoxo