Friday, February 23, 2024

Three States

H2O in Three States

On another little afternoon walk with the compact camera, we spied a bit of ice below the little bridge. The first two photos set the scene of the steep and rocky river bank with the fast-flowing water below along with some ice formations under the overhanging rock at the edge of the river.

The scene was quite monochromatic to begin with, so it wasn't a stretch to convert to b&w.




Then I zoomed in to study the icicles a little more closely. As it happens, the first and third photos are almost the same composition.




They say that there are always photos if we look thoroughly enough. While most may not quite reach the standard of a seaside sunset, they can still be satisfying enough, maybe even more so if you see something in the little details of an otherwise banal outlook.

17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I love catching the ice formations around moving waters! These are great. But since the ice would be my focus, I like the last one best!

Marie Smith said...

I couldn’t agree more. There is always something to photograph!

MELODY JACOB said...

It's true that beauty can be found in the most unexpected places, and these photos serve as a reminder to appreciate the subtle intricacies of the world around us. Thank you for sharing these captivating moments from your afternoon walk.

READ MY NEW BLOG POST: Melody Jacob Blog

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What you have said in the last paragraph is very true because there is always something to be seen and that’s the most wonderful part of capturing it. The monochromatic look was great for these shots

DJan said...

Icicles always add some interest to these shots, IMHO.

Jeanie said...

You're right -- there ARE always photos if we look hard enough. And you found some beautiful ones. I think black and white is so lovely, so enigmatic. It works so well for this.

Marcia said...

Ice frequently calls out to be photographed. I never have managed to do it since I see it while in the car.

Margaret said...

I love that outlook! Noticing the small details is important, and not just in photography!

RedPat said...

#4 is myfavourite. I like the patterns on the rocks where the snow has melted away from the edges.

Red said...

You found a very photographic stream

Sandra said...

I agree with you and the many others who agree with you. There is always something.

MELODY JACOB said...

Beautiful photos! It's fascinating to see water in its various states, from the rushing river to the frozen ice formations. The monochromatic tones add a sense of timelessness to the scene. It's true what they say about finding beauty in the little details of everyday life. If you're interested, I've recently published a new blog postFeel free to check it out for more.

Celia said...

Lovely, nature's scupting talents and your photographic ones, thanks for sharing.

Joanne Noragon said...

More great shots.

Kay said...

Those icicle formations are really interesting. I've never seen anything like it.

Patio Postcards said...

Oh my the water does look cold & choppy. Great photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

I loved the icicles in Muskoka. I wonder if I shall get back?