Monday, February 26, 2024

Reimagining the Photo

I took this photo of four sleeping geese early in January and showed it to you then. The four geese were standing on ice that also had a thin layer of water on top.


I was pleased enough with it, for it was an accurate photo that captured the light, or lack of same, pretty well as it was on that day. I do tend to do realistic portrayals more often than not.

After almost two months, however, when I came across the photo again, I was not quite as pleased with it. By then, I felt less constrained by the actual the conditions at the time and decided that the scene could do with a just little brightening and warming.


It isn't a huge change, and I think it keeps the integrity of the image, but it's a better version (not saying it's a great image) in my opinion. It just adjusts reality a bit, which is pretty well what phone photos do each and every time. 

Some photographers believe that you should make it a habit to wait for awhile before you process your images. I can see their point, but I won't be able to resist editing them almost right away, for I feel as though the processing is part of the shoot. Also, as I have just proved, they can always be re-edited, and that way, you get to play with the photo twice if you so choose.

Note: I was deliberately shooting through the foreground reeds for effect.


17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love the lightened image but the first time I saw it, I loved that too. The reflections really make the photo for me!

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree with you...each step an artist makes is worthy and usually not a bad decision.

Jeanie said...

It's a terrific captures -- timing is everything and I like the reeds. And yes, you needed to bring out the highlights/brightness. Lovely.

Sandra said...

I'm saying it's a great image. The reflection is perfect.

PipeTobacco said...

I think the HARDEST part for me would be deciding when the fussing with processing is ENOUGH. It seems (at least the way my mind works) that I could get lost into fussing and fixing any photo into perpetuity. It seems there is always POTENTIAL to further enhance an image.

I do not know if left to my own devices, if I could literally say “enough is enough” and put the image to bed.

PipeTobacco

RedPat said...

I like your retouched version best. It's a great shot.

The Furry Gnome said...

I really like the shot. The change is subtle but does improve it.

roentare said...

They line up in reflections. A gorgeous shot!

DB Stewart said...

As an artist, these are your decisions. I respect your judgement, expertise and process. Interesting note: at first I misread your use of "process your images" as "possess your images." I think there's a message in that. Through composition, you kind of do "possess" these images. In other words, you "seize" them and "occupy" them with your artistry. I don't know enough about photography to know if what I'm saying is meaningful, but I do appreciate all the ways you seize moments with your camera.

gigi-hawaii said...

It does look better with the editing. Good job!

Catalyst said...

I like the new one, too. It is a great photo!

Luis Serrano said...

La foto es hermosa y muestra a esos cuatro gansos dormidos tal y como tu la imaginaste en el momento de la toma. Luego, pasa el tiempo y desde entonces hasta el momento de la revisión tu ya no eres la misma persona y claro está, te apetece mejorar la foto. Bien hecho amigo. hay que evitar las limitaciones de la mente y el criterio.

Margaret said...

I do like the warming you did on the photo; as you said, nothing extreme, just a few adjustments to enhance.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading the post and seeing the before and after, AC, I would agree that the second edited version is better.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I agree that post-processing is part of the shoot. And I love this photo and I do think it's a great one. xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the warmer colours. Good choice.

MARY G said...

Interesting. Of course, the phone or whatever is editing. So are our eyes. I agree that the lightening effect is a good one, but both iterations work. Because you have a good eye, is why.
I expect to crop, these days because I am quite limited in where I can go to get the shot, but over the whole course of my photographing life because I do not have a good eye for composition through the lens.