Monday, January 22, 2024

Weekend Walkies

I've previously mentioned that walking in our parks is a bit problematic once the snow arrives in full vigour.

However, somebody, and not the town, did clear a bit of a path in nearby Curro Park. The dog's hind legs are still on it. (left) Then the path goes over the bridge and along the trail. I am not sure why the town won't clear pathways for us, but mine is not to reason why.

Meanwhile. we pass the sign (right) frequently, but the incongruity really amused me on this day.


The next day at Riverside, the path wasn't plowed, but it was trodden down enough that we could stumble along. I photographed the stand of birches (again) across the river in three separate photos. It's a long reach, and it is what it is.



Both days were a tad less numbing than the recent frigid day at the Almonte waterfall, but they were still plenty cold. However, we are in the midst of a weather change, The next few days will hover much closer to the freezing point, and we should exceed it later in the week.




18 comments:

Jeanie said...

Lovely, AC -- and fabulous blue sky, which is definitely not what we have down here. Our temps are now in the double digits -- finally (F). I'm not sure we'll get to freezing but much closer!

Vicki Lane said...

I remain in awe of your ability to get out and about in such weather.

Barbara Rogers said...

My fav of this series is the last... the snow really smoothes out the ground so just the curve of the tree is the focus.

Marie Smith said...

Love that last shot!

DJan said...

It seems ages ago that I last saw blue skies, but I can always look at yours. Beautiful shots, every one.

Boud said...

Our parks aren't cleared either! Right up to the walking path then stop. I think it's nobody's responsibility so it doesn't happen. So the parks get a rest from walkers after a heavy storm. Cross country skiing happens though.

MARY G said...

I am pleased for my city family that this weather has allowed the canal to be opened; the ED loves to skate.
the really cold night was amazing, though. I was out on the porch in the dark and could hear snaps as tree limbs froze. Weird sound.

Granny Sue said...

How strange that walking paths are not cleared. Maybe it would just take too much manpower? Good on you two for getting out there anyway! That sign made me chuckle.

Liz Hinds said...

Beautiful but brr. Do you get turtles snapping normally?

Debby said...

Seems as if snapping turtles should be fairly easy to get away from, unless you're wading. They move surprisingly quickly under water.

I tried to get a picture of a bear crossing sign on a highway we came home on. It always makes me smile when I see it. Unfortunately, I did not prepare quickly enough and missed it.

Margaret said...

Love the sky and snow shots! We're in a warming trend too--excessively warm in a week. The weather gods can't seem to get it right!

RedPat said...

Here it has been cold but we don't have all the snow that you have so it is not so picturesque out and about.

roentare said...

That is seriously thick snow! Snapping turtles should be aware of the snow

Cloudia said...

I imagine that if the turtles are cold enough they might indeed snap in half in the freeze so be careful not to step on one! Thank you for these exotics snowfall photos please be safe Aloha from Sun- i can move land

PipeTobacco said...

I would snap too, if I was a turtle in that weather! ;)

PipeTobacco

Jenn Jilks said...

It is awful out there today.

Kay said...

I felt cold just looking at these photos.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I give y'all major credit for going walkies each day in such frigid conditions. I would not be equal to that at all. And your photos are so evocative of that bitter cold, they make me shiver! From the warmth of my chair. xoxo