Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Touched and Warmed

It was June 2020, pandemic time. On a pleasant afternoon in the park, I took a photo of a couple sitting on a boulder. It seemed lovely to see this older couple being together on a pleasant day. We can't quite recall how we communicated with the lady, but we did manage to email the photo to her.


Almost four years later, the lady has sent an email to Sue.

Sue, I'm sure that day in Riverside Park you would never have thought that taking a special picture would be kept as such a great memory.

After the article in the paper was posted and shared by so many X continued to lose his
fight with Dementia and cancer and almost two years later he passed away.

For his memorial service I created a book of memories with Shutterfly and the cover was that picture. His whole family was delighted and I keep the book on my coffee table to browse through when the different anniversary's arrive.

You have no idea how that picture changed so much for me and I just wanted to thank you once again.

I hope all is well with you,

Now, doesn't that touch a body and warm the very cockles?
One of the meanings of "cockle" is the chamber of a kiln: in reference to the heart, it refers to the chambers, of which there are four (two atria and two ventricles). The heart has always been associated with emotions, especially love, excitement and fear, probably because when we feel a strong emotion we feel our heart thumping and beating faster. So when something "warms the cockles of our heart", it is a reference to something pleasant that makes our heart beat faster and makes us feel good. It is probably also the origin of the saying that something gives us that "warm and fuzzy feeling". (The Sydney Morning Herald)

 

29 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

OH!!!!!!!!!!!! that is the most heart warming story & what a gift you gave that lady. You just never know what is going on in someone's life just by the outward appearance. I got very teary. It's why we take photos isn't it - to save & savour those moments.

Marie Smith said...

Great story! It is a beautiful photo and warmed someone’s life! It doesn’t get any better for a photographer!

Ed said...

My cockle's are warmed!

Marcia said...

A wonderful deed for that woman. [Didn't you mean 2020 not 2000?]

Boud said...

That's lovely! It's an eloquent image and I'm glad it became so powerful.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a wonderful story. Not sure about cockles in a kiln, will have to ask the experts.

DrumMajor said...

That's really nice. You've invented a new profession: hospice photographer. I always wondered about those heart cockles. Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

I am loving both the photo story and the explication. I think I may be contagious. Or, old teachers just keep on teaching. That would explain both of us, hmm?
You take fine, fine photos.

Granny Sue said...

What a touching story, AC. Such a gift for her...and how sweet of her to write to you again. We never know how we touch the lives of people we meet along the way.

Debby said...

What a beautiful, beautiful story! I am so glad that you were there to catch that moment.

DB Stewart said...

So special. As Mary Oliver said in her Instructions for life: 1. Pay attention, 2. Be astonished, 3. Tell about it.

RedPat said...

Such a lovely story. I feel warmed just hearing about it.

Blondi Blathers said...

A small, thoughtful kindness on your part made a huge difference to others. Isn't it wonderful to have evidence of this! -Kate

DJan said...

Without the explanation, it is still a wonderful picture. And to have such a delightful story to boot, well, consider my cockles warmed. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We surely can never tell how we might have affected others just by a simple gesture and sending this photo of this couple was one of those wonderful things in life.

Damselfly said...

Lovely photo and such a beautifully touching story.
Yes, the cockles of my heart were indeed warmed, along with a bit of misting of the eyes.

roentare said...

This is such a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing with us.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is a very good picture and a charming subject. Then hang all that endearing stuff on it and it becomes a hearty picture.

Red said...

Great story about the photo. It brought a lot of comfort.

Margaret said...

That definitely warms my heart and its cockles. We just never know, do we? My late husband hated his picture taken and fought it for years. Then he got sick with cancer and, knowing his prognosis, he allowed us as many photos as we wanted. Sadly, going back to look at them, I can clearly see his progression to death; I couldn't at the time, but now it's obvious.

gigi-hawaii said...

What a sweet picture, and what a nice message from the widow! It's heartwarming, for sure.

Jeanie said...

Now THAT is very cool indeed!

Vicki Lane said...

A wonderful story and a fine picture. Also, I'm glad to know the meaning of cockles. Hmm...cockle shell...

Cloudia said...

This post shows the most wonderful side of blogging. Meeting new friends like you, and the fact that people seem to like and get something out of what we post, especially our photos. Well done friend. Well done! Aloha

peppylady (Dora) said...

Kind an lovely thing you did. The world could use people like you.

Christina said...

Awww, that's a lovely story, warms my heart. Thank you!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is so sweet! Obviously she was busy in between and the dust has settled. Amazing to connect with her!

Kay said...

That's a beautiful photo and what a precious gift that was!

Jenny the Pirate said...

How truly wonderful! I see your exceedingly cockle-warming story and raise you a non-cockle-warming story that in truth rankles to this very day. TG and I were in Salem, Massachusetts, on a day in early November of 2019, part of our 40-year anniversary New England trip. It was a gorgeous day. We were walking down by the water where the Friendship is docked and you can clamber aboard, which we in fact did and which produced our Christmas card photo that year, piratey to the max. Anyway, I saw a couple standing near the edge of the bay, just gazing out. I took a picture of them and, as they shortly after that turned around and began walking towards me, I approached them all happy and smiling and said, I just took the nicest picture of the two of -- and I had not even gotten the word "you" out of my mouth when the woman (or it may have been the man; I don't remember) said curtly: "Please delete it immediately." So I wanted to say, "Do you two yardbirds think I want a picture of you? I don't know you from Adam's off aunt! I wanted to GIVE the photo to YOU as a memento! Are you wanted by the FBI or something?" But I just said OK, deleted the stupid picture, and walked away. Sheesh some people. So rude. Lighten UP, folks!!! xoxo