Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Days After

The big storm that we had overnight on Friday kept us indoors on Saturday. We didn't go far on Sunday, but we did leave the house for a little walk up the street. Both the road and sidewalks had been plowed, but that left pretty significant snowbanks between the centre of the road and the sidewalk. At some point, they will be removed, but the town never seems to be in a hurry to get to this little task.



There is half of Sue walking along the sidewalk, just a little way up the street from our place.



Knowing where to go for our outings is going to be difficult for the next two months. Unfortunately, the parks will pretty much be inaccessible to us oldies, so on Monday, we headed downtown and looked around behind town hall.

Someone had shovelled a path beside town hall to the back, and I tried to incorporate it into a photo. Historically speaking, that's the doctor's house across the river, but the good doctor hasn't lived there for a very long time. I think it is now offices for lawyers or accountants.



Here is Sue on that same path, taking her own photo.



She had possibly been taking a photo of St James Church across the river. We often do, but the photos are never great. Anyway, this is mine on that day.



The flag atop town hall was flying in the strong breeze.  My photo was dull, so I decided to try to convert it into b&w in Photoshop; by chance and without intention, I got carried away and ended up adding a colourful sky instead. Then I went whole hog and generated an AI airplane, just for fun. While I don't normally do this kind of manipulation, it can be fun on occasion and keeps life interesting.



After hanging out behind town all, we decided to walk the main street, but we didn't get very far. Look at the ice on the sidewalk to see why.


That's pretty brutal; it's not even sanded or salted. I am not sure whether to blame the town or the store owners. Of course, the shops were closed due to weather on Saturday, and they're always closed on Sunday and Monday. The Monday closures are typical of little downtown stores in smaller towns.




23 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is good to get out even though you may be limited in where you can go. Love the AI plane!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I expected to see a super hero appear in that sky/tower shot with airplane! Very full of expectations! Loved the river with Dr. House. Glad you didn't venture far on the ice. We have no snow and yet will be down to 10 F tonight.

Marcia said...

You did get a mountain of snow. Snowing here today and it should be a nice 6 inches before its done.

Ed said...

I wish we had sidewalks that looked like your top picture. In my neighborhood, there are no sidewalks and many of the adjacent neighborhoods with sidewalks, are so uneven and not always shoveled well if at all, or well after the fact so that they look like your last photo, despite ordinances mandating they be cleared in a timely manner, that walking in winter is mostly done in the roads themselves and at your peril. That is why I mostly contain my walking to a treadmill and watching television.

I often wonder about digitally manipulating photos, especially after I'm gone. Should they be passed on, will future people assume they are manipulated, mistakenly think they weren't and do I have any ethical obligations to somehow let them know by providing a description of my alterations appended to the image file? I don't see any issues for colorizing the sky and adding a plane, but perhaps somebody edited to show it partially reduced to rubble or showing it burning. Are future historians who come across the photo going to be mislead? I don't know the answers but I have spent some time pondering that subject especially as technology to alter photos has improved so drastically. Perhaps using A.I. to create photos as I do on occasion for my posts is an even bigger future historian sin? I just know that when I look at an old photo passed down from my great grandparents, I know 100% that it wasn't altered in anyway after it was taken. It might be posed, but I find that generally much easier to spot. Anyway, my 2 cents worth on a topic you never brought up.

Tom said...

Love the photos. We got two inches last night here, outside of Philadelphia. Haven't seen a soul out on the streets yet, and it's 10:30 a.m. I guess we're not that hardy.

Jeanie said...

Yikes. It's cold here but we have nothing like that. Hang in there -- looks like that might be there for a long time to come!

I love your clock tower manipulation. It's very dramatic, very creatve. Well done.

Granny Sue said...

I knew you would be out, even with all that snow! Such wimps we are down here! Well me anyway, Larry has been out shoveling, feeding, and generally mucking about. The hous in your first photo is stunning. And what is that big rock beside Sue in the 4th photo?

Anvilcloud said...

@Gtranny: It is a memorial fountain, but not a spray fountain. Just a little flow of water trickles out.

Margaret said...

The snow is gorgeous but the ice is terrifying! I love your manipulated photo; it's otherworldly somehow.

RedPat said...

You got so much snow. We got another sprinkle of it this morning but still really none at all. The other shoe must be getting ready to drop.

roentare said...

Amazing amount of snow you had. These snow look so fluffy and icing sugar almost.

DB Stewart said...

It's so beautiful where you live. I love Canada. We are finally out of the deep freeze we experienced in Western Canada...as low as -56 with the windchill. Yikes.

Barwitzki said...

Shenanigans are allowed...absolutely.
Nice plane :-)
Except for the black ice, you had lovely walks.
I'm glad about our snow... it won't stay for long.
Hug for you.

Catalyst said...

Why on earth do people go out in that weather? Oh, I remember. I'm from North Dakota. But long, long, long ago.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Snow day here today but only a scant 3 inches despite the Ll day event. We did have snow squalls on Sunday which resulted in some icy walkways on Monday when we also ventured downtown.

Joanne Noragon said...

That's a lotta snow.

dellgirl said...

Your blog is so inspirational and, your photos are awesome, as usual. Thank you for sharing these beautiful snow pics. Wishing you well . . . Have a blessed Week.

Cloudia said...

Good you got out safety

Patio Postcards said...

That is a lot of snow & it's great that your little town has some quick plowing done. I like your photo of St James across the river.

Liz Hinds said...

Will it stay like that for long? Such thick snow? Would you expect to get more?

Anvilcloud said...

@Liz: We have gotten more already but not a lot. We will get more, but we could also have a minor thaw too. However, we will be snow-covered until sometime in March if recent history holds.

Jenny the Pirate said...

UGH the ice, the ice, the ICE! I hate ice on roads and sidewalks. I once fell on an icy sidewalk just like that. Ugh I hate it. I don't know how you do it in the kind of cold you all get in the winter. I guess the only explanation is that you're used to it, although it's possible that you really like it! Which is fine because to each his own. But I cherish our mild winters here in South Carolina. xoxo

Kay said...

That's a fun manipulation on your photo. I know you can get AI photos through a website. I didn't know you could use your own photo and add an AI generated object to it.