Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Photo Retrospective i

Aside from sometimes enjoying the Eve, mostly in the distant past, I have never much been fussed by New Years. And I have never bothered to do either New Years retrospectives or resolutions. This year, however, I have decided to choose a few photos from each month to do a kind of retrospective. This won't be a deep, nostalgic dive but just quick hits about why I am choosing each photo. It's not about the excellence of the photos, for with one or two possible exceptions, they are not that. However, as I looked back, I have found that there are some that I would like to say something about.

I must confess that there will be six posts, each covering two months. However, there are only a handful of photos in each post, and my commentaries will be brief. I know . . . promises, promises.

January

I was standing by the river with the water rushing past a clump of ice that was affixed to a branch. I like the general composition  plus the sense of motion. While it would have been great to have the branch and ice in sharper focus, they were been jostled about by the fast-flowing river. It is not my usual type of photo, but I am glad that I saw the possibility here.


I helped Sue in her project of taking a photo in each season, but something about this winter photo appeals to be more that the those of the other seasons. She looks like a snow queen amidst the soft winter ambience. We have some good photo-memories together.


I got a photo of Jonathan in a good hockey moment as he stood poised by the goalie while the puck bulged the twine at the back of the net. He didn’t score this goal, but he was an important part of the play, and he did the right thing by going to the net. This may have been the last hockey photo that I will ever take of him as he has retired from the sport. I'm glad that it's of a special moment.


I like the next understated winter scene from our nearby park. For me, the subdued colour and tone suit winter, and I rather like the row of trees that are well-distanced from each other, each having its own space.


February

I remember taking this photo. We had been shooting at the other end of the park on a bitterly cold evening, but decided to drive over and check out this spot before heading home. There may be a lesson here about sticking with it and giving it one more try. It's probably good advice for both photography and life. Also, you have to be adaptable; whereas I had been setting up tripod photos carefully, I handheld this one as I quickly exited the car and just as quickly hopped back in. For one thing, it was cold, and for another, we were losing the light quickly.


This next photo also has to do with sticking with it, but in a different way. We had stopped at the dam in Appleton during the previous winter, but my normal lens hadn't captured the scene as well as I would have liked. But one frosty February day, I had the idea to return with my telephoto lens and to photograph the remains of the building from various focal lengths. I decided that I like this view best. I am very happy with the angle of the fallen tree in front of the wall. Aside from the texture of the wall, the photo has pristine, white snow and also ice and water. I am also taken with the blue winter tones.


That's is for the first two months of 2023. I hope you will be to tolerate five more posts of this type.

21 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

A fun way to review the year. I like February's sunset by the river.

Marie Smith said...

I look forward to these photos, AC. Great idea!

Granny Sue said...

These are all excellent, in my book. The wintry ones are my favorites.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, once again your skills just amaze me. Last one is maybe my fav, because well, sunsets are always there...but it's a close second in my humble estimations.

Megan said...


Great,love them all and looking forward to the others. Also hoping it will make me get out my "big girl's camera" from the back of the cupboard because living here beside the sea near Snowdonia in Wales,well there's no excuse for not taking pictures but I got lazy...and old! Thank you.

RedPat said...

I enjoyed this post. I like the ice on the river and the Snow Queen best.

Catalyst said...

If all the photos are as good as these, it will be a pleasure to view them. When I saw the Snow Queen photo I couldn't help but think: "ANASTASIA! Found you at last!"

Margaret said...

I love the photos; they are each atmospheric but I especially enjoy your commentary. The pictures have stories and meaning behind them as well as your memories of taking them.

roentare said...

These are wonderful snow scenery captured on camera

Anvilcloud said...

Hi Megan. Phones do such a good job now, that if you don't want to fiddle and faddle in edit, then they are probably more than enough most of the time.

DJan said...

I am glad you are doing a retrospective and I'm sure I'll enjoy the next ones as much as I did this one. Great idea!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This is a fun way to look back, AC, and I know several other bloggers who do something similar. As for myself, I will just enjoy yours and theirs.

Red said...

Yes, I look forward to more photos on the topic.

Joanne Noragon said...

These are all good, for the reasons you mention. I like the January water rushing past ice and the February red/orange (out of the car and back in) photo.

Debby said...

I always liked that photo of the rushing water .

DrumMajor said...

Love the photo of the Snow Queen, and that's certainly a young age to "retire" from hockey! Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

This is an excellent idea; I always learn from you and the comments on these fine photos are all very useful.
The winter photo of Sue is a winner for me; the Snow Queen indeed, and the sunset is out of the common. the Appleton shot made me think, and although that is something your comments often do, I learned a great lesson there.

Kay said...

That first photo is REALLY interesting. I had no idea that was an ice clump. There's so much movement in the photo. I love it.

Jeanie said...

I love hearing your memories with these, and WHY they are special. (And yes, Sue does look like a Snow Queen.) That sunset -- magnificent!

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots.

Losing the light quickly is the bane for many photographers.

Jenny the Pirate said...

These are all so good, I could not possibly choose a favorite. But I must say that I was captivated by the first photo -- ice on twig -- because I have one almost identical to it, albeit not with water as a background. I took it at Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh in March of 2017 -- the first of two times we have walked that gorgeous historic cemetery. The weather that day was the exact definition of a mixed bag. It snowed, it sleeted, it rained, it iced. The sun came out, and then it went back in. The wind blew. It was cold. But it was glorious and I got a close-up of ice clinging to a small branch that is remarkably like yours. Photography, like nature, is nothing if not therapeutic. xoxo