Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Outtakes and a Few Fresh Takes

I have some photos from the past week or so, which I didn't see fit to post then. Either they were not up to par, or they didn't fit my narrative in those blog posts.

When I mentioned in the previous post that I had taken a rather meh wide angle photo, this was it, down by the pond on a very bleak afternoon. This is definitely a not-up-to-par photo, but it is my one and only wide angle photo so far this month, so here it is.


Sue's photo shows how gloomy it was and where I was standing. The bush beside me is the same one in both photos, above and below.

So, there it is — a very ordinary photo. I must use my wide angle lens again, but it is my heaviest lens and the lens that I use least. A panorama stitch, as described yesterday, accomplishes something similar — for the most part, but not totally.

I have a few other photos that I didn't post at the time. The first is the pond/reservoir at Roy Brown Park. They sky is its best feature. Below that is another photo of the 4 geese, in which I deliberately shot through the weeds for effect. I like it just about as much as the first photo that I posted at the time.



Finally (but not really as it turns out), I have a photo of cracks in the ice. I thought the lines and texture interesting enough, but I was featuring macros when I posted on that day, and they were better photos too. However, I guess this is an okay abstract.


Finally Addendum: On another short outing, I took another pano, but not a sweep, just a crop of a regular photo. Except, I did crop in camera, so I do get an extra point. :)  It's of a different group of trees than in the previous post, and I left it in original colour. Some people don't see any value in photos like these, but sometimes I really don't mind capturing the day just as it was, and this result actually appeals to me.


Absolute Finally: Big Storm last night. When I awoke this morning, neighbour was beginning to blow his driveway, so I grabbed my handy dandy iPhone.

Look at the pile at the end, from the town plow.


The contractors had already been to ours once, so our driveway pile was not as big as some, but we were still plowed in. They will return for a second pass in due course.

We will not likely venture forth on this day.


18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

That was quite a storm. We are having it later today!

Liz Hinds said...

My word! That is serious snow! We NEVER have anything even remotely like that.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the photo of the geese!

Barbara Rogers said...

Ditto what Vicki said! But I also enjoyed the whole shot of trees and snowy ground before them...it is forthright looking to me.

MARY G said...

JG is out blowing now, as I sit nere watching, finally his ne toy gets a real test. i am puzzled by your, I think, second last shot. I agree worth the capture, and I agree mood, but for no reason I can find, it feels tipped. It isn’t. It must be me. Also, the clean view of the geese appealsmto me more. Simpler.
You never disappoint. And, yes, the big lenses are heavy. I need a porter.

Anvilcloud said...

@MaryG. From upstairs at an angle, looking down. Yes, perspective is wonky.

RedPat said...

The geese are the winners for me.
We got about 2 hours of snow last evening and then from about 9 pm it rained all night and melted it. So there are a few little drifts around and that is it. Stay warm this week.

Jeanie said...

I'm staying in, too. Love the photo of the snow blower guy. The houses remind me of a monopoly board! (Boy, you'd get a lot of rent from your street!)

Margaret said...

The light on the snowblower adds an eerie touch. What a relief to have contractors to take care of this amount of snow! I can't imagine. I too take many photos as is and appreciate the reality of how the landscapes look in the various seasons.

Granny Sue said...

Yes indeed, that's a big snow! That lonely snowblower light, quite a nice touch, AC. Stay warm!

roentare said...

The line up of ducks in reflection is looking good. The cracked ice looks great too

Cloudia said...

Stay safe and warm my friend! Aloha

DJan said...

I think you are too hard on yourself. Those are some nice photos! And that sure does look like a big snowstorm! :-)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I see you got some snow, like I have in my yard.

Catalyst said...

I like the two snowplowing shots though why anyone would do that in pitch darkness evades me. But the final one just before them is "Art". Love it.

MARY G said...

Of course. Now I see it. Thanks. What some of the medieval painters could do with that perspective just boggles my mind.

DrumMajor said...

The four birds in the lake, all tucked in, just makes me want to say, "They have their ducks in a row." Pretty. Linda in Kansas

Jenny the Pirate said...

Yay, a beautiful snowstorm! So cozy. I really like your pano shot of the trees. The starkness is captivating. The cracked ice is poetic. But I REALLY like the Roy Brown Park reservoir photo. That's a gorgeous shot! xoxo