Sunday, January 28, 2024

Doctor's Houses and Icicles



Back in the day, it seems that the doctors in this town lived well. Not long ago, I showed you the house with the red door (above), but there is another doc's house on our main street. These would have been, and I guess still are in a way, the finest houses downtown.

 

This one has been divided into apartments. I presume they are very nice, but you never know on main street. I have seen a second floor flat that was quite impressive, but I have also seen another that left me feeling sad for the person who lived there.

I really wasn't taking architectural photos, but it was a byproduct of deciding to photograph more icicles, for I am not sure what else to photograph these days. The freezing rain followed by rain won't help. Slush is not very attractive, eh.

That doc's house is the eye-catcher, but I did take a few more icicles shots.

One of our barbershops


A side door off a parking lot.

This ↓ caught my eye: snow-covered stairs leading to an upstairs apartment. Either the apartment is presently unused, or maybe there is a less hazardous entrance on the other side. There are a number of second story apartments over the main street shops.



Unless I find something quite noteworthy, I promise to refrain from posting more icicle pics.

16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the old house photos,as well as icicles. Your snow may be boring to you, but it's refreshing to me. Of course, stay safe out there!

Marcia said...

Maybe the snow covered stairs are the fire escape? No icicles here - everything is melting.

Margaret said...

Scary stairs, lucky they're unused. Icicles fascinate me since they're relatively rare here. Do they ever hurt people?

Cloudia said...

I must say John, you are making me very grateful to live in Waikiki.
Somehow you always manage to present us with something worthwhile and interesting. Your personality shines through Aloha

Marie Smith said...

Icicles are sculptures of nature. They deserve their own show, AC. 🙂

RedPat said...

Icicles are fun if they are not on your own place. I haven't been venturing far lately either.

roentare said...

The house does look like a mansion to me.

Tabor said...

Photography does drive some of us. I do get outside much less these days, but still love to photograph anything that catches my eye. I belong to a few groups on Facebook and sometimes I think my photos are much better and other times I want to follow them around and see how they do it!

Red said...

At one time doctors had their offices in their house so the house had to be larger.

Granny Sue said...

Whoa, those stairs! The houses are real beauties. I am always interested in the homes in small towns.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice pictures. I like icicles.

DJan said...

Some of those icicles look scary.

Vicki Lane said...

The snow-covered stairs tell a story of sorts.

NGS said...

Icicles just make me think of how cold it must be inside the building that's so poorly insulated icicles form! Brrrr!

Jenn Jilks said...

The icicles are pretty!

Kay said...

These are fabulous, interesting photos, John. I'm really loving them.