Saturday, January 27, 2024

Nighttime Notes

Amazon and other delivery services leave me perplexed. Does no one ring the bell anymore? Fortunately, Alexa tells us that there has been movement out there, that something has crossed its path. We say to ourselves that the bell didn't ring, so it was probably some errant passerby. But we check anyway. Sure enough there is a parcel.

There is one step up from ground level to the door. They often leave the package on this step. They do this even if it a big parcel, so big that I can't open the door without knocking the thing over. So, I go out the garage, pick up the delivery, and bring it in.

They could just slip the parcel inside, but no! They leave it outside, on the step, and don't even ring the bell that sits right in front of their noses.

I don't understand.

======================

As I write this, it is 3:45 a.m. I had an hour of sleep, maybe even two. I awoke with something going on intestinally. After awhile . . . well, you can guess what ensued.

Sleep hasn't been too terrible lately, and the system has been good too. So what has triggered this?

Could it be that two or three days of toast for breakfast instead of a healthy, fibre-filled cereal has done this? Surely not.

The cat is all jiggered too as she sits by my computer chair for handfeeding for the second time already this morning night. It is sure different than yesterday when she was camped out in a state of deprivation by the foot of my chair when I awoke at 7:30 for her first feeding.

I made oatmeal a little while ago. Deaf me must have made quite a racket down in the kitchen, for when I brought the bowl up, Sue was standing at the top of the stairs, wondering what in thundering tarnation was going on.

She's back in bed, and I am finishing coffee. It's not even 4.

At the moment I am still a bit crampy. after so little sleep. Later, worn-out me might have a slioght tendency to become grumpy.

======================

The new computer that I purchased in December is just about finished being fully put into place. I have been using it, but there have been little things required to make it complete.

For one thing, I had to install my scanner, but, of course, Canon no longer supported it. It was probably put into use for possibly Windows 9 and they won't support version 11. Big companies are cheap companies. I guess this is how they get rich — by letting their stuff become obsolete so dear consumer has to buy more stuff. I already replaced one perfectly good scanner when I was forced to purchase this one.

Fortunately, third-party software came to the rescue, but, of curse, I had to purchase it. They didn't demand a huge price, but Canon should continue to support their products.

I also had the purchase a new version of my file backup system. This is about the fourth time that I have had to upgrade to program over the years. Once again, it was not a huge expense, but it was an expense, nevertheless.

However, I have treated myself to a new keyboard. It wasn't necessary, so I can't complain. My former keyboard continued to work well, but it is now three computers old. And I have lusted after a backlit keyboard, so I done did it. It's also Bluetooth, so I am no longer tethered. That isn't the main thing though, just a bonus.

=====================

Shall I try to go back to bed chair , despite the coffee? It may or may not work. I feel wrung out, but I also feel excessively warm, so something is still off-kilter with my body.

I also wonder when I shall post this, for I have already published my daily post, and I have another in the queue already. And I have additional material for yet another post.

I am somewhat dizzy with it all. I'll have to edit and proofread this at another time, and I do wonder if this post will make a lick of sense when I review it.

21 comments:

DJan said...

It makes perfect sense. I do hope you are not coming down with a bug. And do hope you get some sleep. :-)

Patio Postcards said...

Oh dear oh dear you & Sue are not having a good start to the day. I hope you feel better with a mid morning snooze in the chair & that if something is brewing within, that is passes without upset. We have the same issue with delivery folks & packages, no doorbell ring, no knock, & sometimes they cannot even make it up the two steps to put the package on the porch, just leave on our house sidewalk in front of the porch. It begs belief sometimes.

Marie Smith said...

Hope you feel better soon., Ac. There is always something as we age!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This post made sense, AC, because many times my self and others I'm sure have had times when they just post about what's going on at the moment.

Amazon deliveries here at the mill apartments are supposed to be made to a secure room (the Hub) and the drivers are given the room code. The packages are to be put in designated areas by building and apt #. This isn't always done and sometimes packages are left in a pile outside the Hub or even worse inside the main entrance. We make it a point to check for any deliveries we are expecting. There are no door-to-door drop-offs because of the size of the buildings and number of apts.

It is frustrating when software refuses to cooperate with older equipment that's no longer supported. I have a now older printer that is still working perfectly well, but I don't look forward to having to replace it as it is the perfect (small) size for where it's positioned. I am planning to upgrade my now-older desktop iMac possibly with a new notebook. Hopefully, installed programs, now older, will transfer. It has been years since I had a separate desktop scanner, thankfully, the current printer will do document scans, albeit rather slowly. I no longer do any photo scans so quality is not an issue.

Good for you in treating yourself to a new keyboard, I recently did that with a set of airpods and "gifted" the older still-working pair to Patrick

Granny Sue said...

That sounds like a terrible night. I hope it is no more than a little bug that passes on quickly.
Our deliveries are almost all made to a big box we built and put up by our mailbox. That saves drivers the trouble of navigating our narrow driveway, and the new drivers from being scared of our loud but friendly dogs. Some still come down and we have to tell them about the box . But I swear, your problem sounds like pure laziness on their part! Oh, and occasionally if it looks like rain and it's a new driver, we will find our packages in a plastic bag tied to a tree!

Barbara Rogers said...

Packages left on the porch, usually where they don't get rained on, but my Christmas soft envelope disintegrated before being opened...while at least the inner plastic kept the shirt dry. Sorry about your intestinal problem. I would have stayed away from oatmeal in that case...but it does give good help sometimes. Oh no, on computer woes, costs etc! Just so much pain in the neck to go through. We weren't raised for this kind of stress!

Jenny the Pirate said...

You are among friends so it's all good. Do get some rest and feel better, AC. And stop disturbing Sue's slumber, hahahaha xoxo

Ed said...

It really depends on the driver. My current USPS driver always rings the bell but my current UPS driver doesn't. It wasn't long ago, sometime last year, when those rolls were reversed.

I think my scanner is now on it's fourth computer and I'm pretty sure I had to use third party software to get it working again. It also is a Canon. I've decided that when I get a new computer though, I will upgrade to a new scanner because I'm guessing hardware and software has much improved over all those years. Sadly though, I don't use my scanner much these days as I have caught up for the time being with all my inherited photo scanning.

I had a bluetooth keyboard some ten years ago I think. I'm hoping technology is improved because it was nothing but problems. It was always loosing connection or requiring batteries.

Dianne said...

I read one reason for not ringing the doorbell is because of dogs running out the door when it opened, and biting the delivery person (some dogs).

Cloudia said...

A very compatible post my friend. I shall think of you when my cat and I are awakened for in the morning. Wishing you all the best. Aloha

Margaret said...

There must be a reason or reasons but I'm puzzled too. Some of my deliverers put packages behind the post, thus hidden. Others prop them up against the front door in plain view. *shakes head* That's a nasty way to spend the wee hours of the night. I hope it goes away and you feel better!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I hate sleepless nights. I tend to wake up frequently, but (usually) can fall back asleep. I think some of the delivery people play a little game. Most people in my neighborhood have ring doorbells (that record anytime motion is detected). Some of these guys are so crazy fast they can put the package on the porch and be gone without setting off the motion detector! I'm curious to know what file backup system you are using. I'm trying out Microsoft OneDrive, but not happy with it. Will switch to something else once my current subscription expires.

John Going Gently said...

Some of these delivery men have dozens of parcels to deliver sometimes hundreds and for peanuts at their own expense
I get that they become sloppy,

Jeanie said...

I like this post -- a little of this and of that (you're right about Amazon or whomever. They sometimes do that here.) But I feel for you on sleepless nights. I can usually go back to sleep right away but Rick has a terrible time with it. He'll often move to the other room and sometimes that's better, sometimes not. Good luck with the computer. I can't do a thing with mine without my friend Kim. Which reminds me -- I have a list for her!

Should Fish More said...

I'm familiar with your sleep travails...I'm usually awake at 3am, sometimes I get back to sleep for an hour or two, sometimes not. Lately I've been lucky, getting 5-6 hours, broken into segments, a night. I find if I get up at any of these waking periods, I don't get back to sleep.
But, I'm not too plagued with aches, at least not yet.
My sympathies, friend.
Mike

Red said...

I need a new computer soon but I am dreading all the stuff you have to do to get it going.

Vicki Lane said...

!Oh dear! What a mixed up morning. I hope tonight is better.

Jenn Jilks said...

I went back to bed this afternoon. Dizzy, and with your issues. I just don't know. Something...

MARY G said...

Yikes. A poor night, really disorienting. I feel for you, but you can feel for me come Monday when I have to be at the Smyth Road campus of the Ottawa Hospital at 7:15 with no coffee to sustain me. And no coffee on Sunday either. Perfusion stress test. The damn rules are the stress.
I hope to read higher up that you have recovered and have now got your schedule back to what the cat requires.

MARY G said...

Our mail is normally dropped into a box at the road end of our laneway. But when our postman has a parcel for us, he, bless him, drives up the laneway and puts it onto a bench we have beside the front door. UPS and others of the same ilk all come and knock, and if we do not answer, deposit the parcel on the bench. We have a neighbour who has rigged up a big box beside his mail-sized box. He has a dog that has hysterics if anyone drives in.
Life in the country.

Kay said...

My USPS driver is wonderful and always rings our bell.
I'm sorry you were feeling so bad. I hope everything worked itself out quickly.