Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Photo Retrospective ii

My retrospective reverie now moves unto March and April. My memory is so poor that even I am about to find out what I chose not so very long ago. Let's see . . .

March

Oh yes, as the weather warmed and the sap began to run, we made our usual trip to the sugarbush. One would think that after so many visits and so many photos that we would find no new compositions, but I like this one — a macro of a part of an old-style snowshoe. I guess there is always something fresh to see if we are willing to look. 


Speaking of new opportunities for old eyes, one day I photographed the old Moore House in town, but this time I deliberately included a bit of townhall peeking over top. I have meant to return and try to elevate my camera somehow to get more of townhall in the photo. It would take a bit of doing, but I am mulling  over how I might manage such a shot. Perhaps I could put my tripod on top of the car.


At the end of March I took this high key photo of a pair of mallard ducks. They are a common sight for sure, but I thought that overexposing the background produced a unique image. As in the other March photos, above, we can look at old or common things with fresh eyes. I think the boy duck must have got lucky because he seems to be laughing.



April

We had a late-season ice storm in April.  The misty background helped to pretty well eliminate the distracting houses in the background of the park. It was no longer actual winter, so there was some colour in the bridge and vegetation to add to the scene.



I remember the circumstances of this next photo. I had been to a nearby spot along the river, trying to photograph this same building while using a time exposure to capture the rushing foreground water. As I was about to get in the car to leave, I saw the light through the trees by the parking lot and snapped a quick photo. I ended up liking it better than the photos that I had striven to capture only moments before. It was good that I was flexible enough to seize the unexpected opportunity.



We are not exactly party types, but Sue was rocking her wardrobe at Danica's birthday dinner at the buffet Chinese restaurant. This phone photo simply demanded to be included in my April photos. In the photo, Sue is wearing actual art clothing produced by one of her photo contacts. She certainly put her best self forward on that special day. It's good to do that sometimes.


Well, those are two more months of retrospective photos. When I began this little project, I was thinking of choosing only one photo per month, but sometimes life takes us in other directions, and we have to be adaptable. 


15 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

I love Sue's wardrobe. She is the perfect model. You are incredibly lucky to have such a beautiful wife.

Marie Smith said...

Great shots. Nature provides so much beauty if we but look. Sue is rockin it for sure. Lovely!

Barbara Rogers said...

A big wow for that lovely dress Sue is wearing...good work of a designer! And your photos are all great as always. Mmmm, fav might be the log house. Not sure about the cupola though.

MARY G said...

The ice storm shot is just splendid. And so is Sue, but I want her to spread her arms and turn around so that I can see the whole outfit. Only a video would have captured it all.
Yes, sometimes the afterthought shot can be a real winner, but only in weather warm enough to allow the gloves to stay off the finger and the camera to stay out of the pocket that kept it warm enough to work. Yeah for spring.
I have whined about the rushing water shots before; I like my water to stay in place and have never appreciated the moving water shots eve when, like yours, they are technically excellent.

Margaret said...

What a stunning outfit (Sue) and a gorgeous capture of light(you). I love all the photos; they're so unique.

RedPat said...

I really like your shot of the snowshoe detail.
Sue always looks like a model.

DrumMajor said...

Beautiful Sue, as always! (The food buffet seems to have more flowers than food, but it's pretty.) Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

I love Sue's dress. She is gorgeous in it.
I also love your April misty photo. Sigh...

roentare said...

Reviewing photos could be a wonderful exercise too. I usually don't look back at all. When I do, it is often a hit on the senses

Celia said...

Wow, the closeup of the snowshoe is great. So many wonderful views in our world. Sue looks so good in her outfit, classy and elegant.

Catalyst said...

The winter photo is spectacular. Just showed it to my wife and she exclaimed "Isn't that BEAUTIFUL!" I also like the photo of Sue. Judy said, "If she shops that way she must certainly attract some attention." But then we read the caption and all was explained. But she is a beautiful lady and you're a lucky man!

Jeanie said...

I'm so enjoying this series! Sue looks dazzling at the birthday party! And the April house (I think April) -- wonderful!

Granny Sue said...

Sue looks stunning in that outfit. My fave here is the bridge in April. Impressionistic!

Jenny the Pirate said...

The photo of Sue is nothing short of sensational! You hit that one right out of the park. Also the duck duo ... art quality. I love it. xoxo

William Kendall said...

Pretty sure that ice storm was the same that hit here.