Friday, January 05, 2024

I Inarrup Myself

Sue is a cruel woman who has been forcing me to walk with her everyday. With my little difficulties, she doesn't make me go far, and she does walk at my pace, so she isn't all that heartless, I suppose. Of course, we have taken pictures on our walkies, and I'll get to them in a bit. First, however, there is an item to update and another to mention.

So, I am inarruping my string of photo retrospectives for a day. I am writing inarrup instead of interrupt because I am remembering a colleague who used to say it like that. It just crossed my mind again today.

I met with the physiotherapist again this week for my rotator cuff issue after a two-week holiday break. We concurred that I am not making much progress, so she has changed my home exercise regimen. We'll have to see if that will help. She will also send a note to that effect to my doctor apprising her of my sorry state and notifying her that we may need to consider alternative therapies. In the meantime, she'll keep seeing me for a few more sessions.

Some of you have been kind enough to ask, so I will update you again at some future point. 

To shift topics, yesterday I had to drive into Ottawa for 9 o'clock. That was a silly time to choose I guess, for I have been sleeping in a bit later these dark days. Also, driving at 8 or so at this time of year isn't always easy on the eyes, for the sun is low and was in my eyes at times. I was also driving on highways during rush hour, and although it certainly wasn't horrendous out my way.

I was taking our CRV in for a safety recall, but I wasn't expecting the bombshell that they dropped on me.

They told me that the car might be trash if a certain thing were to happen during the required procedure. If that were to occur, they would give me a 7-day rental to figure things out. Can you imagine having 7 days to make a huge and unexpected purchase?

It's a 2010 model but still with relatively low mileage of less than 100K miles — something like 135K kilometers. I have been hoping to at least drive it until I am 80 in 4 years time. Then we can reassess. 

Thankfully, worse did not come to worst. Phew!

Shall we do recent photos now? Our January 01 walk was at Riverside Park. I was once again attracted to those birch trees across the river: the same birches that appeared in b&w in yesterday's retrospective. A number of you expressed appreciation of that image, but this one is closer (longer zoom) and in colour. What caught my eye this time was the layer of geese just in front of the trees. I though the two elements made for a nice composition.
 
I also created a mono version, which I am setting aside for another time.

January 02 saw us walking through Roy Brown Park. We don't frequent this park, and they've added some trails since we were there last. What I appreciated  was that, at least in some places, they have cleared some of the scrubby underbrush. I took this photo in pano crop mode, largely to eliminate as much of the sky as possible, but even the bits that remain are distracting.

No scrubby underbrush

That ↑ photo may not indicate the bleakness of the walk but this ↓ photo of Sue crossing the footbridge captures it pretty darn well.

Bleak it is without any snow.

She got one of red me on a red bench. Red doesn't look bleak. Thank goodness.



January the third took us to Anthony Curro Park, the one just around the corner from us. When we rounded the corner, there must have been at least three-dozen Canada geese bobbing about on the pond. Of course, I took some photos of the chaos of the gaggle, but they were uninspiring to say the least. Then we found four sleeping honkers isolated on the edge of the crowd. They were on the ice right by open water. Stealthily, so as not to disturb them, I took my shots. And here is the best one, or at least one of the two that I most liked.

They are in a line all sleeping on the ice and are all reflected in the water.

Meanwhile, as shown below, Sue went to extreme measures to get a photo. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, eh.

There was a little abandoned boat down there.

Yesterday, January 4th, we got back to the same park as the sun was setting. The geese were gone, but there were ducks. I wanted a photo, but the shooting was poor in the low light. I finally got an unexpected opportunity along the trail that branches off from the park. There are a few houses that back onto the trail, and one of them had lights on the fence, and there was also a touch of light from the house iteself. 


I've been trying to come home with a photo from these excursions. I shouldn't always try to force the issue, but I guess this one will do.

24 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Good for Sue getting you out to walk. I've finally got Mr Man doing a Walk At Home YouTube program with me as I know I'd never get him out the door in the cold. Sorry to hear that your shoulder woes are not improving. As we get older we certainly take longer to heal ... oh & the physio therapists that I worked with use to tell clients that the aging meter starts at 40! Yikes. One therapist use to say all the bumps & blows your body took between 0 & 25 yrs will start to revisit in your 40's ... so on that note I'll stop now :)

Boud said...

Sorry your shoulder's still an issue. I hope the change of exercise will help.

Barwitzki said...

Great your wife :-)) I congratulate you...
you look wonderful with your red jacket on the red bench... I wish you great walks, we also have cardboard splashes, wet gray weather here - aren't we heroes who run with joy through this wetness :-)
I'm waiting for snow... it's supposed to be colder on Sunday!!!
Kind regards to you both.

Barbara Rogers said...

I loved your walking photos, they may capture the gloom, but the show great design and texture...as well as humor in those sleeping geese. Hope shoulder woes get better. Keep on keeping on.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The cruelty of it all, making you get out and walk like that! Your photos on the other hand are incredible! I especially like the one of the geese and birch trees.

Marcia said...

That geese photo is a keeper.

gigi-hawaii said...

You know, my advice to you would just let Nature take its course. Eventually, it will heal by itself. My torn rotator cuff took a year to heal. I had no physical therapy and had no surgery. Just time healed it. Be patient.

Ed said...

Too bad you aren't getting better. I remember those early weeks after tearing my rotator cuff being extremely painful to do the PT. I winced, moaned and cried a lot. But fortunately and slowly, I got better. I hope you get better too my friend.

I can't imagine what repair might junk a perfectly functioning vehicle. We loved our CR-V for the years we owned it but honestly, we have had less issues with the RAV4 we switched too. Neither of them had any issues per say but the CR-V had at least three or four recalls that I can remember and the RAV4, not 9 years old hasn't had a single one.

Alicia said...

First time visitor to your blog, came over from The Second Half of My Life. Beautiful photos, I can feel the bleakness and the cold. I can imagine it will be quite beautiful in spring. Glad that your car situation did not go sour and you don't have to purchase a new one...whew. Have a great weekend!

Karen said...

I'm having a really difficult time getting my significant other out walking too. If I don't walk every day my right hip and lower back seize right up.
The photo of the sleeping geese is amazing.

Catalyst said...

That final photo is hauntingly fascinating. And the one of the four sleeping geese is exemplary. Keep shootin', A.C.

Marie Smith said...

We walked as snow fell around us this morning. I refuse to take my new camera out in such weather though I like to have at least one photo of each walk. The geese were a great capture, AC.

RedPat said...

Love the shot of the geese with that super reflection.

MARY G said...

The reflecting geese with the white highlights and the four sleepers are top class, sir. And check Sue for burrs after that push through the weeds. We get little tiny ones that cling to sock fabric and cut it in the wash.
Again, love, love the sleeping geese.
And you would find a red bench. Of course.

Red said...

Change in routine is always a challenge. Then telling that your car might be trash is stressful. But things turned out nice again.

DJan said...

The geese shot is my favorite.

Margaret said...

In spite of what a nuisance that they can be, I love Canada geese and what they add to a photo. Stunning pictures of the trees and the bit of light in your last shot. I hope you can get some relief for your shoulder; John's shot and PT exercises helped him a lot. Much of that might have been the cortisone shot though.

roentare said...

The ducks line up in a reflection look fabulous! Good that you get pushed to walk daily. Walking reduces mortality

Kay said...

I was just reading about Hiawatha House Red's wife suffering from rotator cuff pain. I hope you get some relief soon. I'm now dealing with vertigo exercises AND knee exercises. What a lot of pain it all is. Literally.
You are lucky to have beautiful Sue encouraging you to keep moving.

Judy from Maine said...

The geese shot if fabulous. It says so much.

Granny Sue said...

Good that you are out walking, even if short distances! I have not had a chance to go back out, but maybe today. I love that shot of the geese! Reflections always get me.

Jeanie said...

It sounds like you have a very good and responsive physical therapist. I hope the new program helps. And three cheers on the car -- that would be ugly!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Walkies is always always good. So good for you and Sue. But UGH bleak indeed, without the snow blanket! And yes, Thanks Be for RED! So happy. I am wild about the sleeping standing duck photo and hereby dub it Four on the Floe. You may have that, compliments of the Pirate. xoxo

William Kendall said...

I guess all the geese need is open water, and they can make do.