Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Frames Within the Frame in the Snowy Cold

As we were leaving the bridge ↓ I told Sue that we should try this sort of photo shoot again on a much nicer day and that we should do so with a bigger picture frame. 

We had been in the middle of yon bridge on a photo shoot
for one of Sue's challenges.

What am I on about, eh? What is with the picture frame and 'trying again'?

Well, Sue's challenge was to hold a picture frame while someone took her photo. Then she was to paste that photo into the frame and preferably more than once. If that doesn't make sense, I think it will. Maybe. Eventually. Perhaps.

It being winter, Sue brought along a picture frame that would fit in her bag. In other words, it was not a very large frame. While I could paste it in once, when I then pasted it into the first paste, it got pretty darn small. If you look ↓ for a moment, what I am trying to say may become clearer. It is a bit hard to explain just in words.

It was Sue's concept and she set up the shoot, but I was the one holding the camera and then doing the photoshop work in post.

Sue holds a picture of her holding the picture,
and it goes on for several layers.


After working on the above photo, I next edited one for Sue's use from her camera (not shown here). Then I did this ↓ next one. By the time I got to this third version, I felt that I was becoming a little more adept at the procedure. It also has three inset photos, or maybe it was four. Of course, you can't see that far into it at this resolution.

A picture of Sue holding a picture of Sue holding a picture of Sue holding . . . and so on.


You probably can't tell in the ↑ photo, but it was snowing, so here ↓ is a crop of the same photo as above in which I think you can see the snow falling around Sue's face.



To bring it around to my somewhat cryptic introduction, maybe we will experiment again, on a blessedly warm June day when we can work in leisurely comfort. We will also bring a bigger frame that might make the frames within a frame concept a little more visible.

However, it was a fun challenge, both the outdoor and indoor parts. 

Perhaps I am tired, but I had trouble describing this coherently. It's early and I did not get a full night's sleep. Hopefully, it eventually made some sort of sense to you.

24 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You described the scene coherently even at such an early hour, AC, and what a creative concept. Your model, Sue, also did a fine job holding the frame while it was snowing even. Kudos go to both of you.

Vicki Lane said...

Quite a fun concept and well executed!

gigi-hawaii said...

Unbelievable. I just love it. You are a genius.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great idea...and if you'd skipped the matting inside the frame, it would have let each photo be just a bit bigger. I agree, try with a bigger frame! Such a fun idea.

Ed said...

A neat idea, though I'm fairly certain I don't have the skills to complete such a task, especially if the frame isn't completely in plane with the camera lens and skews are thus introduced.

Liz Hinds said...

Lovely, and Sue looks very snug.

Jeanie said...

I'd pick a warmer day but it looks like a fun challenge!

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful.
Great idea... and Sue looks like a fairytale princess in her wonderful coat. I like her - I like you both!
p.s. I also didn't watch figure skating for a long time and lost track of the athletes, but now all the competitions are in our media library - without advertising - with a wonderful sports commentator - so I watched it with enthusiasm.
I can recommend you take a look at the gold, silver and bronze award winners for the ice dancers... maybe on You tube??? It's really great. The World Championships are in Montreal in March.

Marie Smith said...

How you do that is beyond me! Great job, AC.

NGS said...

I like this frame within a frame challenge! Super fun!

Margaret said...

That is incredibly clever!

DJan said...

It's quite clever, and well executed by the two of you. I enjoyed it very much.

Granny Sue said...

Interesting! Took me a minute to understand but I really like this idea. You two did a great job, especially in such weather.

RedPat said...

You did a fine job. I have played with this idea with 2 mirrors. One in front of me and one behind. You get sooo many copies of yourself.
Love that coat.

roentare said...

Your Mrs wore some sort of silver contact lenses? they glow white in unison with the snow

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sue, coat is quite pretty.

Anvilcloud said...

@roentare: No but it might look like that.

Catalyst said...

A very nice idea but get the h--- out of that snow!

Red said...

And you have to explain clearly to the non visual like me, but who are interested in photography.

dellgirl said...

Your blog is wonderful. I'm impressed by your post and your beautiful photos. You explained the process very well. Even I understood it . . .can’t do it, but I understood what you said. Thank you for sharing these awesome shots with us.

DrumMajor said...

Interesting idea, but there's just too many cute Sues to keep track of! Linda in Kansas

Jenny the Pirate said...

It's an eternity picture! That is WAY clever and I love it! Well done, AC! It makes me want to try doing the same! xoxo

MARY G said...

Yep. Got it. Eventually. This is Friday, and I just got to the post. I love how Sue looks in the coat, btw. Classy.

Kay said...

You did great in both explanation, photography and photoshop. This was fun!