Monday, October 18, 2021

Final Photos from Our 2021 Fall Excursions

It is time to empty the jar, so to speak. While I tend to post my favourite images at the time, I found some more adequate leftovers. Actually, I don't consider every image from initial postings to necessarily be good or a fave. Sometimes, I just post as part of the story, as it were. For example, the Wheeler's Sugar Camp photos were hardly exceptional, but they were a record of the outing, which is pretty much what blogging is all about.

Since I just mentioned Wheelers once again, I do have a few more photos. First, let me show you a photo from October 14 this year, followed by a photo from October 15 2016.



What a difference! Not only was it a much nicer day five years ago, but there were also more leaves remaining on the trees although, to be fair, there had also been a lot of fall then as well. Comparing the two photos, it should be evident why we chose not to go walking through the bush this year.

I have one more photo from Wheeler's. See the big boulder? It is a glacial erratic, deposited by a receding glacier, perhaps 20 000 years ago. Erratics can be much bigger than this, but this is about the size that we see in this particular bush. There are others strewn throughout the property. You can also see the sap lines in the foreground.


Back to the foggy morning shoot with Bob, he sent me two other photos. He gets his photos done quickly and then has time to . . . er . . . shoot me.



I took one other photo that morning on the way back to the car. The fog had lifted somewhat by then but the atmosphere remained a little subdued and appealing to me. I don't mind the bit of leaf caught at the top centre although I wish there were more of the branch as it would help to close the photo better.


I think there is only one more to go. I photographed this abandoned barn near Tennant Cemetery. Last year's photo of the same was better because I included the road, but I didn't want to take the exact same photo this year. Besides that, the conditions were a little better last year.


I do think I am done now. lol





16 comments:

Tabor said...

I like the way you discuss your approach to a photo and what you like ad dislike about the results. I also like your fried including you in his photos to personalize the post. As a photographer I learn so much from others and read posts such as these ore closely.

Patio Postcards said...

You have had some beautiful colour & sunshine in your region. A glacial erratic, I've never heard that term before.

Barbara Rogers said...

I especially enjoyed this post, with the comparisons to other years...as well as seeing the photographers at work. Only a photographer would be walking in the dewy long grass beside the road, rather than down the road itself!

gigi-hawaii said...

The fall colors are so beautiful. What a treat for sore eyes!

Marcia said...

I've been taking a progression of photos of the hill out beyond our house. Trying to capture the leaf color emerging and then leaves disappearing. One day I'll post those on my blog.

Margaret said...

I always enjoy the analyses of your photos. I too like to chronicle my experience by adding pictures, even if they don't perfectly represent what I'm writing. Most often they kick start my post by helping me figure out what to say.

DJan said...

I enjoyed these very much, especially that one with you adding some color. :-)

Red said...

Nice comparisons. we learn by making comparisons of photos as we see the differences.

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful takes.

Joanne Noragon said...

Some great pictures both years. Great tree color in the last.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful photos but what I really like is learning the term 'glacial erratic.' It seems like a title in search of a story.

MARY G said...

Never say never. Just in passing, you might consider cropping the penultimate shot square. Could be interesting.
You take good fall fotos. But I like the first one OF you better.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We never tire of the colours of fall, do we?

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely outing!
Poor JB drives in order for me to do drive-by shootings. He likes reading the blog to see where we've been!

Debby said...

I love the picture of you far off in the fog.

Kay said...

I love photos of woods and fog. These are beautiful.