Thursday, July 01, 2021

A Sombre and Orange Canada Day

This Canada Day will not be like other Canada Day celebrations although it will be much like last year's with celebrations hugely diminished and mostly cancelled. This includes no public fireworks, darn it all. I really want to photograph them again.

It is more than COVID that saddens me this year, however. I have previously posted here of the 215 unmarked graves found in Kamloops, B.C. But this is just the beginning, for last week, according to this BBC article, "An indigenous nation in Canada says it has found 751 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in Saskatchewan."

If the first announcement wasn't devastating enough, this second one hit like a sledgehammer as we realize that this almost genocide (my words) was vast, with likely much more to be discovered.

I am not ashamed of this country as we have become pretty tolerant and inclusive compared to many nations if not most. But our past has some very bleak moments, and I am ashamed of those.

Sue and I are not hanging the big Maple Leaf flag in our porch door today, and also not the various little ones that we strew about the garden. Instead, an orange shirt hangs in the doorway. It's not much, but it seems right.


Last year, I did a version of the Canadian flag from a photo that I had taken of a maple leaf. I am modifying it for this year with the red becoming orange and the white around the maple leaf shifting to  black.


On my way out for today, I leave you with two pertinent graphics from the internet.




18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

It is certainly a different Canada Day. I've posted on my blog day some similar thinking about still celebrating being Canadian, for which I am very proud to be, but also reflecting on our history & the work to be done.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Indeed, this year will be a very somber and silent observance for Canada Day especially in contrast to the US observances this weekend.

Marie Smith said...

No flags or celebrations here this year either. Quiet reflection is the order of the day here.

Barbara Rogers said...

I had no idea that so many little bodies had been found. It's very sad. So I salute Canada for looking honestly at itself. In many ways you all are ahead of us.

Ed said...

I have heard the reports about the mass of graves found. Definitely sad but at least to me, not surprising. I would hazard a bet that if one looks back into the history of any country, there are lots of skeletons in the proverbial closet. I know that proud as I am of my own country, we have done our share of disgraceful things.

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, that last photo of the children just breaks my heart.

Silver in AZ said...

It is all so deeply tragic. I applaud your emphasis on the lost, darling souls' plight.

Margaret said...

Your decision of how to celebrate is perfect and so is the shirt. I agree with your attitude although I find it increasingly more difficult to be proud of my country. I'm sure the same atrocities happened here, but too many will write them off or excuse them.

William Kendall said...

I was out briefly. I noticed a fair bit of orange shirts.

Red said...

The last photo really breaks your heart as you are looking at little kids like those who died. When I was in Inuvik we had 6 year olds from spence Bay. I still think about these little kids and how far away they were from Mom and Dad and brothers and sisters.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like your orange flag!

DJan said...

It is a sad thing, but I applaud Canada and Canadians for facing the truth and not looking away. In America, we will never have a Truth and Reconciliation committee. Too political, I fear.

Bindu said...

What a sad incident! How these many children were dead and not their families were informed?

Joanne Noragon said...

We learn of more and more children of whom we never knew.

Rita said...

So sad. We have done horrible things here, too. Still are not right about everybody being equal. So sad.

Jenn Jilks said...

I have read much of the horrors inflicted on Indigenous people. I think it was the gr. 6 curriculum of the time. My students did some research on the Beothuk tribe. He was shocked. That was 2005-ish.

I think many of us are waking up to this, however.
That said, there is still a disgusting element of society who spread hate, racist behaviour, lies and misinformation. They have never been stopped by police for driving while black. We must listen to their experiences.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is a sensitive post and an equally sensitive reaction to Canada Day 2021. Well done.

Kay said...

This is so sad. We did hear about this in Hawaii. Who was in charge? What organization was in charge? I guess those are all questions that need to be addressed.