Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Big Smoke

Our skies in southeastern Ontario are currently smoky from fires in faraway northeastern Ontario. Believe me, Ontario is a very large province, and those first are, indeed, far away.

Due to said smoke, last evening when we were out watering the garden the smoke had reduced the sun to a dull, orange ball. After Sue tried, unsuccessfully, to photograph it with her phone  I grabbed my camera and took two photos. They are zoomed and cropped and not very good photos, but they do record the colour pretty accurately.



We hustled our buns to drive about and find nicer place for a photo, but we didn't hustle enough. By the time we found a what could have been a better view, the sun was low. The smoke must have been thicker lower to the horizon because it was all but faded from view. Sigh.

Later, I saw that the moon was a similar, orange colour. I took a quick snap from the backyard.


This morning, I set the alarm for 4:40 to try again for a better sun photo, but, alas, ole sol chose not to put in an appearance, or at least the smoke chose to thwart it. After an hour of waiting when I knew the sun had, theoretically, risen but was still invisible, I gave up.

However, while I had been waiting in vain for the rising, I did take a few other photos.

This first one shows a little of where I was -- in a little pulloff by the ditch, which was lined with Queen Anne's Lace.


Speaking of Queen Anne, she appears prominently as a foreground element in the next photo. I like this picture as it captures the morning, with its muted skies and landscape, very accurately and pleasingly too, I think.


The little spot on the flower is a bee, which I couldn't see with my bleary, sleep-deprived eyes.

When I got back home, Sue was up doing the laundry. Unfortunately, my alarm had also awoken her, and she had been unable to return to slumber land.

I am pleased to say that I, as of this moment, have not been served with divorce papiers.


15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great photos. This morning the rising sun was quite red from the smoke. From the sounds of things, a mid morning nap might be in order.

Barbara Rogers said...

Silly US news talks about US fires only, apparently. Though I admit to skipping news completely many a day. Sorry you all had to breathe smoke, but the photos are pretty nice. The last one is certainly a keeper....and I'm glad you all remain happily (?) married

Marcia said...

I wonder if we'll be seeing that smoke soon too.
I saw in paper today that Canada is opening its borders to us come August. But, we will need to have Covid test results even if vaccinated to be let in!

I love seeing the Queen Anne's lace flowering.

Ed said...

My daughters thought the sun was the moon due to the lack of brightness.

We have a pottery place in the county I grew up that specialized in using Queen Anne's Lace to make imprints on their pottery during the firing process. My mom has a number of pieces from there and it is very beautiful.

Margaret said...

Sorry for the smoke but it does make for an impressive moon. (and sunsets) I expect we'll be getting it soon and the poor air quality that goes along with it. :(

gigi-hawaii said...

I really like that orange sun. It looks like a moon!

William Kendall said...

I'm beginning to really hate that spammer.


I haven't been sleeping well, but it's the humidity doing that.

Red said...

the smoke is so heavy here that we don't even see a red glow.

Joanne Noragon said...

Wonderful photos. The smoke isn't here yet.

Vicki Lane said...

I love that first one. It looks like the sun is rolling downhill and has taken a little hop after rolling over a bump,

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thankfully, there is no similar smoke situation here in our part of the US, but we have seen photos texted from friends living in Oregon. I was unaware of the same situation in Canada. That orange moon was interesting to see. Glad you are both still together too!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

So glad that your marriage vows are still intact. Your last picture is a gem but I would expect nothing less !

DJan said...

Those skies look ominous! I am not looking forward to that happening here, but it's only a matter of time and wind direction.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Sometimes it seems like half the country is on fire, although I haven't noticed smoky conditions here yet.

MARY G said...

I hope you grovelled - or at least finished the laundry. Nice shots though.