Friday, July 23, 2021

First Came Golden Hour

What with rain, clouds, smoke and wind, I haven't been taking many photos for almost a month. However, with an almost full moon last night, I predicted a suitable spot and headed out. Alas, when the moon did rise, cloud cover kept it out of view.

All was not lost, however, for I was able to snap some photos while I waited. I did have quite a wait too, as I got to my spot about 3/4 hour earlier than necessary as there was a lag between general rising time and when it would be visible in my location.

I was in a somewhat elevated Park and Ride lot near the highway and was able to look down on the farm on the other side, which I captured it bathed in golden light. Well, perhaps bathed is too grand a word, but it was golden hour that photographers are rather keen on.


A little later, in the opposite direction, the sun was lowering beyond the trees, creating some interest in the sky. It wasn't grand, but it was something while I waited for the moon, which never did show up.


Then, I took a horizontal photo of the same sky and saw that a bit of sun was peeking out at tree level.


Then it peaked a bit more and became pretty bright. To keep the sun from blowing out (ie going to white) I had to underexpose by quite a lot. I like the results well enough. Despite using my longest lens, the first photo is highly cropped. The second is somewhat cropped. In both cases I like the effect of the intervening trees and clouds.



I took one more photo of the full scene with no cropping or processing whatsoever.


While I didn't get the [moon] photo that I wanted, I did manage to take photos that I think were worth the effort. The sun behind the trees was certainly unexpected and not something that I have photographed before, so I am happy enough


15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love the photos of the moon and vegetation. Gorgeous!

Patio Postcards said...

You have captured some magnificent scenes of the sky & moon. The smoke is playing havoc for all the local astronomer clubs.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely sunset shots...unplanned doesn't make them any less gorgeous! Lots of us walking around were unplanned babies! Seems that way for life and art to happen.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful light on the farm--a picture of serenity.

Marcia said...

My favorite? The farm photo. Love the golden light.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That so-called golden hour is also my favorite and most evenings we look for it outside out apt windows. However, I am usually not ambitious enough to get the camera, but glad you did, John.

Karen said...

Lovely sunset. We don't see sunsets at home as we are on the side of a hill with big trees that block it.
I noticed the moon was very low in the sky when I took the pupper out for her bedtime pee. It barely came into view then disappeared behind the hill.

Ed said...

Didn't see the moon rise or set but I did see it shortly before moonset this morning. It was very red due to the wildfire smoke. Unfortunately, I was at the farm garden and just had a cellphone so I didn't even attempt to take a picture.

William Kendall said...

Lovely skies. I did see the Moon last night.

Red said...

So now you have another location for catching sunset photos.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice photos!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was amazing! I'm really glad you made the effort.

Margaret said...

I love that golden light, so idyllic. You managed to take some gorgeous photos!!

DJan said...

These are all quite wonderful. Well worth the effort, I think. Sorry you didn't get the moon but you did get the sun perfectly.

MARY G said...

DMN, you're good.