Friday, July 16, 2021

A Day Late

A day late and a dollar short is a common idiom that came to mind after I wrote the title, but the dollar short part has nothing to do with the rest of this post. This is how I roll through life – with my mind wandering off aimlessly in any direction or even all directions.

What am I a day late for then?

Well, let me tell ya. I found out that yesterday was National Respect Canada Day in the good ole USA.

Here are a few tidbits from one web site which honours the day.

Canadians are known for apologizing unceasingly. Chances are if you bump into one they'll tell you "sorry." How can a country with such caring people not be shown respect? 

Does any other country have law enforcement officers that look half as cool as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police? 

Canada should also be respected just for being Canada. Covering the northern two-fifths of North America, it is the second-largest country in land area after Russia ... 

Most of Canada's population lives within 185 miles of its boundary with the lower 48. 

Kanata, the Huron-Iroquois word for "a village or settlement," gives Canada its name.
(My Note: a suburb of Ottawa is actually called Kanata. It is just about the closest part of Ottawa to our town.) 
 
Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are Canada's largest cities, and its capital is Ottawa.

Truth be told, however, this post has been an excuse to post this image. I found some Q&As very funny indeed.





20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Well isn't that interesting about Respect Canada Day. So many things I could say after that but I'd be saying sorry a lot.

Marcia said...

Respect Canada Day? There has to be a day set aside so we do this?

The questions and answers were hilarious.

Ed said...

I've gone a handful of decades without knowing or celebrating this day so I will probably just continue on in the same way, no disrespect to you Canadians.

Barbara Rogers said...

Fun fun fun! Thanks for a chuckle for the morning! Unfortunately I don't know any local Canadians to share them with, except a few geese...mmmm, they usually don't listen very well, but I will extend proper respect.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

What a crazy bunch of people live in our world. The questions and answers about Canada prove this ... really funny. Following your blog for over 20 years has given me a vicarious love of your country. Thanks, AC.

Should Fish More said...

I used to get questions almost as silly when I lived in Alaska in the 70's....'do you have to snowmobile to work in the winter?' etc.

gigi-hawaii said...

I didn't know that about Kanata being the source of the name Canada. Interesting tidbit.

Mage said...

LOL

DJan said...

Well, I sure got my fill of smiles and grins from those responses. Thanks for the great snickers.

Marie Smith said...

Lol. Priceless!

William Kendall said...

Hah!

I haven't been in Kanata in a couple of years.

Red said...

Well, I've never heard of this day. I will ask my American daughter if she knows about it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well that was worth posting!

Joanne Noragon said...

I question the source of the questions.

Blondi Blathers said...

Thanks, I've added that idiom to my list. I'm collecting them for a writing idea. So far only eight, without thinking much about it. I need four more.
So far:
Beat him to the punch
Going to beat 60
Marching to beat the band
Toe the line
As good as gold
Not your cup of tea
the bee's knees
the whole enchilada
all that and a bag of chips
and now
a day late and a dollar short

-Kate

Blondi Blathers said...

By hook or by crook

Come hell or high water


Now look what you've started

Kay said...

I love it! You certainly have my respect. One thing I do know about Canada although this is from about 10 years ago. If you're walking on the sidewalk and just look toward the street, a car will stop for you to let you cross.

We have always loved Canada and have loved every Canadian we met. So far. LOL

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh my. They are a hoot!

Margaret said...

Loved those questions! I thought bears would be walking down the street in Alaska; I've been there three times and never even seen one. A moose, yes.

MARY G said...

We very occasionally have a bear in our back yard. Does that count?
We have a neighbour who found one in her kitchen. That should count.
I grew up in Windsor within walking distance of the Ambassador Bridge to Detroit. And, yes, we got questions about snow in July, mainly asking how far the American tourist would have to go to find it. Unbearable.