Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Life in the Ditch

Almost around the corner, there is a new road in kind of a business park. For some reason or other, I turned onto this  road on our way home from a little drive, and we were almost flabbergasted by the display of rudbeckia (aka brown or black eyed susans). They are not the wildflowers that I expect to see or at least not in the profusion that we witnessed. It was remarkable and quite wonderful.

I returned on the next day to see if I could possibly find a composition for a photo or two. I knew it would be difficult because there is little to see beyond the flowers themselves. I couldn't capture it all, but from a driveway, I was able to look down along one section of ditch. A younger and more nimble person would have been able to get right down into the dry ditch for some interesting photos, but this is what I managed.

I like the somewhat understated colours, above, on the overcast day.

In another spot I reduced the composition to a smaller section of the flowers.

I wish that I could convey how impressive the display was all along this road, but, alas, it wouldn't show up well in a photo, and we have to make do with snatches. Such is life.

20 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Even without your getting in the ditch, AC, it’s easy to see what a beautiful sight these flowers presented, a really nice surprise.

Marcia said...

Those are such a wonderful color.

Patio Postcards said...

What a marvelous find. I can see where the water runs in this ditch by the purple loosestrife. Nature is having such a good year & I enjoy her colour combos.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is spectacular by any standard! Wonderful shots!

DJan said...

It is certainly beautiful. I think you did a great job capturing the glorious sight.

Barbara Rogers said...

One of the things I like about blogging is that comments aren't just glib "beautiful" or "like" as they usually are on FB. The second photo is just wonderful to me, and I'd love living with it on my wall somewhere! It's really a winner.

Ed said...

The common black-eyed susan loves disturbed soils and we see them quite often in lots left to grow out.

gigi-hawaii said...

This is really quite amazing. Beautiful and very striking.

Mage said...

Now that's exciting stuff. :)

Karen said...

We were in Cobalt last week. Touring old ruined mills and silver mines is about the main touristy thing to do up there. Imagine our surprise when we pulled into one old mill site, where you really couldn't see ANY soil, and it was full of these brown eyed susans and daisies. after all that ruination it really took my breath away.

Marie Smith said...

I find the same with the beauty of the wildflowers. It just doesn’t translate well, at least how I photograph them.

Bill said...

Both images are pleasant to the eye.

Margaret said...

I've never seen so many of them before. They are incredible! You captured a great shot.

The Furry Gnome said...

Remarkable to find that many rudbeckia! And good photos too.

William Kendall said...

Very pretty!

Joanne Noragon said...

I understand the overwhelming nature of it. Like driving past a sunflower field.

PipeTobacco said...

A whole field of “Suzans” is indeed striking and beautiful!!!

PipeTobacco

Doris Potter said...

One of my favourite flowers. Nice shots!

Red said...

Brown eyed Susans are one of my favorites.

Rita said...

Oh, I love those!! :)