Monday, July 26, 2021

Shifting the Moon

As I have gone on about before, I try to keep my landscape photos pretty authentic, even if I have to work to get a photo looking right. For example, I have already explained how this photo is a composite of two exposures to try to get it as right as possible. It is probably still too dark on the whole, but the moon is right or at least pretty darn close.


That was the best composition that I could find at my location, and I was happy enough with it. Then, it did occur to me that the composition would be even stronger with the moon moved left, over those two lower lights, and I mentioned that in yesterdays post. I also mentioned that it wouldn't be authentic that way, so I didn't do it.

However (ahem), I did get to wondering if I were correct in my judgement, and if I could pull the move off. Once I published that post, I set to it.


It wasn't difficult at all, and I do think that it is a better composition. I am torn. I like to be authentic, but I also prefer this composition. It is art after all, and I am not doing photojournalism or entering it in a competition. In point of fact, this photo my never be seen again, so it hardly matters.

. . . I thought I was done but then decided to play with another image. You may recall that I had wanted a photo with the moon directly over the overpass along the road but that it wasn't in the right place. So here is a real big moon in the right spot, just for fun. Why not, eh?



14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I like your moon within the street lights, I think the 2nd is also my favourite. Well done you.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh you artist you! Moving the moon at your pleasure! All of these are very nice.

DJan said...

They are both better with the moon centered, even if not authentic. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you have noted, John, why not have some fun with imagery if the original didn't suit you (myself neither). I really liked your re-positioning the moon image in photos 2 and 3, with the last my favorite.

gigi-hawaii said...

Honey, just be authentic! Hahaha

Mage said...

The top on remminds me of a Calder mobile. It's beautiful. I like it best.

Margaret said...

These are indeed art. I wonder how many photos we ooh and ahh over are authentic. I would say virtually none.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the last one!!

The Furry Gnome said...

I like the second one even if it isn't authentic.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is quite amusing. You could eliminate the lighting and fill the whole paper with the moon.

William Kendall said...

I tried photographing the red moon the other night, but not with much luck.

Jenn Jilks said...

I truly enjoy your hard work. Your process is interesting.
I'm still sprucing things up here!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You are an artist for sure. I went back & forth trying to pick out my favorite. They are all great but I finally chose #3 ...

MARY G said...

Yes it is art and I believe editing is allowable always as long as it is acknowledged as you have done. I like the first move the best, but you sure have a fine collection, here and below.