Saturday, June 29, 2019

Danica, Lacey, and the New Zoom

I just had to snap this on Monday of Danica feeding Lacey by holding her dish for her. Talk about Lacey living the life.



My new lens came just as I was about to go shopping, so I detoured from the store and took a few shots. It's a 100-400mm lens, so it can get twice as close as my much liked 70-200mm, which is a staple for most photographers. I don't know how often I will use this longer lens, but at least I have it in my arsenal.

The first two shots could have been taken with the 70-200 since they were within its range. But I hadn't done that yet, and they are two mini scenes that have interested me for a while. They are both little but interesting subjects to me.





The peonies are out, so I shot from quite a distance just to test out the lens. One advantage of a long telephoto is that it tends to blur the background even though the aperture is not as wide open as in shorter focal lengths. It was a contrasty morning, but I managed to control the light in a few of the photos.




Upon arriving back home, I took a shot of these irises by a neighbour's fence. These are not the more popular Beared Irises. I believe they may be Siberian Irises. They are also shot at a zoom beyond what my 70-200 would allow, which is not to say that I couldn't have gotten a similar or even better photo with that lens, but the zoom was what I had at the time, and it worked.




It certainly won't be a everyday lens, but it will be nice to have the option.

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Fun photo expeditions in your future, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, photographers stay in shape carrying those heavy lenses around, don't cha know! These do promise some great photos, so congrats on a new toy!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful! I look forward to seeing more.

Jenn Jilks said...

I know you'll enjoy it! It really makes a difference, even with the one like the pony. You can take photos without having to bend over or down!

MARY G said...

Serious lens envy here.

William Kendall said...

Lacey has it made.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yesterday your blog narrowed to 3 3/4" right before my eyes. Zip and it was skinny. Reloading changed nothing. Today, it remains skinny. I suppose skinny is fashionable, except of seventy something old ladies. Do you know what happened?

peppylady (Dora) said...

What pretty Iris and looks like the two is having a great conversation.
Coffee is on

Kay said...

I just love the bokeh effect of your gorgeous flowers.

Shammickite said...

Happy Canada Day, John!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

More great photos..Happy Canada Day.

Mage said...

I like the results with the new lens. I shoot usually with my point and shoot Canon A650 IS.

Silver in AZ said...

400 does have it's place. Gorgeous peonies!