Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Strawberry Moon

It's a time of year for more photo ops. There was Fathers Day, which I shall surely post about. There are irises, and I will have one more post of them. We had a one day festival here called Lambs Down, during which we stumbled upon skateboarders doing their tricks.

But I thought I should get my photo of the Strawberry Moon posted first since it is somewhat time sensitive.

I went out for a bit of a random drive on Sunday evening. At one point I stopped for this photo. Not that it's a super scene, but it is something. (The foreground should be a little lighter if enlarged.)



Then, out of the corner of my little eye, what did I spy? There was a full moon rising over a farm. I went to the trunk for my tripod, but alas it was missing. So I shot it handheld.



Actually, that ↑ is a composite of two photos. The moon didn't appear as large in the main photo as it seemed to my eyes, so I took a second shot zoomed in a little and superimposed it over the smaller moon of the first shot in post. This feels like what I saw but, doubtless, isn't.

I had no idea that this is referred to a Strawberry Moon until I posted it on FB.


12 comments:

Marcia said...

I like that moon shot with the farm in shadows below even if its tweaked with a bigger moon.

Marie Smith said...

Great job on that photo, AC.

Should Fish More said...

I've never heard that term before, harvest moon, etc, but not strawberry. Is it a midwest thing?

Barbara Rogers said...

How super...and who's to say whether the camera or your eyes give the reality of the size of the moon!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Such interesting color in the second photo...Now I have to go find out what a strawberry moon is.

William Kendall said...

What a moon!

MARY G said...

The full moon in Sagittarius is here, and it’s also a Strawberry Moon. The full moon gets a different nickname each month, based on Algonquin naming traditions. The full moons in June is called a Strawberry Moon because it coincides with the strawberry harvest. Less common nicknames for this month’s full moon, based on old European naming traditions, are the Mead Moon, Honey Moon, and Rose Moon.
The moon will become full early on Monday, June 17, at 4:31AM, according to NASA, but it will appear full from Saturday night through Tuesday morning.

Joanne Noragon said...

Strawberry moon means it's time to pick strawberries.

Kay said...

I've never heard of a strawberry moon either. But I guess it must be because of the color too. I love what you did with the composite. I did wonder how you got it so big and so clear.

Tabor said...

Great shot for hand-held. Could you have balanced on your car or too low? There are so many different moons these days.

Jenn Jilks said...

So many moons to photographs. Too many mosquitoes to bother with it!!!!

Shammickite said...

I think I may have to go and pick some strawberries after reading that post.