Saturday, June 08, 2019

St James Church

The church where we have participated in seniors exercise for the past two years, is quite lovely. It's not large, and that leads to some photographic challenges, but I really wanted to see what I could get.

In fact, I had asked for permission more than a year ago but things keep slipping my old mind.

I finally did it this week.

Even with my wide angle lens as wide as can be, I had trouble getting the shots that I wanted. In both these shots, I would have liked to get more of the ceiling,

St James Anglican Church, Carleton Place



I think I know what to do next time — take two or more photos and stitch them together in post. This may or may not work, but I think it is worth trying. Nothing ventured and all that.

Looking toward the back. As you can see there are plenty of stained glass windows along the side, but I didn't get around to them in the time that I had.



I was intrigued with the choir loft, however, although I think it was referred to by another name when I talked to the person in charge.



While I am pleased with that photo, I am more pleased with the one below with the reflection of the window showing clearly in the piano.



That was it for that time-limited shoot, but I do want to return because I rather enjoyed the shoot, and I am happy enough with the results.

14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

These are great, and I see why you wanted to include that beautiful structure of the ceiling. Your last shot is very artistic.

Marcia said...

I like the second photo the way you have everything in line starting at the ceiling. I can't figure out though where the choir loft is in relation to front or back of the church.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

These are very well done. But like Marcia, the location of the choir loft confuses me. It has a different window above it than the one in the front or in the back. Is it off to the side?

Mage said...

You should be. You captured the heart of that lovely church.

William Kendall said...

It's a beauty- the stained glass particularly.

Marie Smith said...

That last photo is super! Well done with all of them!

Joanne Noragon said...

Some very fine work!

Kay said...

You really captured the beauty of the church. And yes, it's good to get the height of the ceiling.

Anvilcloud said...

Marcia and Thicket

The choir area is off to the side. It's an Anglican church, and I know nothing about how they are. It is not a new church by any means.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm glad to see you out and about. Great photos, as well!

Evi Erlinda said...

A beautiful church!

Shammickite said...

This is a nice church, lovely windows and a very shiny piano! I hope you go back for more pictures. Does the church have a large congregation?

Silver in AZ said...

Some most excellent shots! Thank you for sharing with us, and glad you finally got around to doing the shoot!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful church and beautifully captured!