Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Time of the Iris

Irises are quite beautiful. Mind you, when I grew them back in the day, I didn't have a long-lasting variety, and once they were done flowering, I was left with a rather unattractive plant. So, I pulled them after a year or two.

Now, however, I can enjoy them in local gardens when they are in bloom.

I posted one last week from the museum garden, so I went back with a different lens and got this shot. I quite like the composition and blurry background (bokeh).



Then I checked out the neighbour's garden.



That one ↑ was OK, but this ↓ is my favourite photo of the three. To my eye, this one is print-worthy. I think it is the lightness along with the specular highlights that appeal to me. (Note: I think I might also print the first one, above, as I do like it — just not as much as the third one.)




8 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

They are so pretty. I photograph them all to look at in winter!
Are you feeling 100% now? Or close?!

Marie Smith said...

Those irises are so pretty and easy to grow. If I can grow them...

Barbara Rogers said...

Roses, tulips, gladioli, and iris - all great in photos...especially when a close-up gives the beautiful details of how their petals fold together.

MARY G said...

There is a name for the highlights but my stupid brain will not come up with it. Yes, print-worthy.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful takes!

PipeTobacco said...

Anvil:

Very beautifully composed images. For me, these images are especially beautiful for their bokeh. Now, I am not quite sure if I use the term “bokeh” correctly, but I mean the aspect outside of the focused subject that is in blur. For me, I am not confident in how to create bokeh at will... it happens more happenstance for me. Any advice?

PipeTobacco

Doris Potter said...

Nice work!

Christina said...

I agree with you, it is a particularly good shot, love it. We don't have lilies in our garden. Maybe something to consider for another year.