Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Last of Fathers Day

I have already bemoaned the back attack that cancelled our visit to the museum on Friday, but the attack turned out not to be one of the really bad ones, so we went on Monday.

It seemed appropriate to wear my FDay shirt and to start the day with a picture with the one whose birth made me a father. You may notice a slight family resemblance.



In a little less than an hour we were there and ready to view the exhibit.



Part of the exhibit was showing the ways that Neanderthals have been depicted in the past and not always scientifically for they were much more than caveman brutes stalking around with clubs. Here Sue is looking at a painting while Shauna is looking at the recreation of a skull. Actually, it probably wasn't a proper recreation but more of a past guess at what they might have looked like.



We moved on from the historical section into a presentation of bones and artefacts. According to the description that accompanied it (below) this skullcap was a turning point in beginning to understand the prehistory of hominids.



Another damaged skull that led to the conclusion that Neanderthals showed community caring and helpfulness as they believe that this person was cared for into old age, which was in the 35-49 range (for our species too early on).



A compete skeleton. Fascinating. There is evidence that they practiced burial rites.



Another skull of what believe to have been a twelve year old girl, whose head was bashed in, poor thing.



Sue standing beside a poster representation of a Neanderthal, which may not be quite like our earliest impressions of this hominid group.



I could go on, but let's wrap up with a few after-photos.

The view from museum a window across the Rideau River with the parliament buildings on the right and the Chateau Laurier Hotel on the left.




The Great Hall with the ceiling shaped like a canoe. It leads to other permanent exhibits which we have seen before, so we were content to see just the Neanderthals on this day.



Just a passing curiosity that we saw as we were about to leave: a lady in costume, leading a tour group.



We drove back home, picked up a coffee and a sandwich, and took it to the park for a quick lunch. It had to be quick because the mosquitoes were a little crazy.



So endeth Fathers Day celebrations for 2019. They usually don't quite go on like this, but I am certainly not complaining.


Addendum: As an afterthought I am including this composite which I put together for my Flickr stream. You will recognize the three parts from above.


9 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A fascinating exhibit and thanks for all the background as well. As you well know, we certainly enjoy exhibits and such on our travels. Too bad the mosquitoes cut short the picnic lunch, but they too had lunch plans it seems.

Vicki Lane said...

What a nice Father's Day celebration! I've been fascinated by the Neanderthals ever since I read that evidence had been found that they buried their dead with flowers.

The lady in purple could be an older Mary Poppins. Love the pic!

Shammickite said...

A nice time visiting the distant ancestors.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am fascinated by this Neanderthal exhibit. I think I need to learn more about the DNA evidence. I do think you had a wonderful Father's Day celebration.

Marie Smith said...

Great job on the composite! You had a great day, in spite of the flies!

Barbara Rogers said...

What nice photos of those remains...I wonder if I'd end up being in a museum (bones at least) in a few thousand years. See how that bone was broken? (Just kidding, I've never broken a bone, so my skeleton would be a great display! Sorry you all have mosquitoes. I hope they are at least disease free. Here in the southern US, they carry a couple of bad diseases, thus metropolitan communities are sprayed to curtail them a bit.

William Kendall said...

I'm going to enjoy that exhibit. I'm planning on heading over to the museum on Canada Day regardless... I'll see how long the line up is for the exhibit. If it's too long, I can come back, since I know the exhibit runs through January.

Marcia said...

I find that time period very fascinating. Thanks for taking us along.

Joanne Noragon said...

I looked hard for the family resemblance, and must say there is absolutely no similarity in earrings! Glad you had such a good day, mosquitoes or no.