Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Canada Day Part 1

I can't recall ever going to the daytime Canada Day celebrations at the park. But since it is Carleton Place's 200th anniversary this year, and I am one of the two supposedly official photographers to capture the events, I thought I should show up for awhile.

Actually, I didn't need to go because Bob, my photographer friend, loves these sorts of events and planned on being there for most of the day. Bob is very sociable and events are in his wheelhouse, so to speak.

I am not a terribly social creature, but I do make an effort to not be a total reclusive wallflower.

Onward then.

I got there just in time for the opening ceremonies and managed to catch the anthem and the marching exit of the military veterans. I hurried to snap a quick shot.



After the anthem, there were a few speeches, which were kept, remarkably and thankfully, short. That is our mayor at the mic with all of the Town Councillors plus a few others also onstage.



The town band played the anthem and continued to play after the opening ceremonies.



I wandered about and was impressed by the Zumba demonstration, which I hadn't witnessed before. I thought this was something that Sue might enjoy because she has a natural sense of rhythm and movement.



There were a few food vendors, and what a treat this happy lady was to photograph.



There were various performances although I only caught this one before packing it in. This is Brock Zeman, a local musician who has done pretty well, and not just locally.



There were a number of activities for the kiddies.





It was a good day. The weather was almost perfect: not too hot in the sunshine and quite refreshing in the shade.

Job done until part 2 — the fireworks. But that kind of shooting is more my thing,

8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

As our big fireworks are tomorrow night, I can't wait to see part 2 of Canada Day!

Barbara Rogers said...

Duh, not till Thurs night here!

William Kendall said...

There is a train very much like that at Lansdowne Park. I have seen it the odd time.

MARY G said...

Nice story shots. Your usual high level of competence. I am glad I am a Facebook friend so that I can admire your output.

Joanne Noragon said...

OK, I'll be back for the bright, exploding lights. And the noise. Remember the noise.

Marie Smith said...

We had lots of rain so everything was indoors. Glad you had fine weather.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looks like a great celebration and terrific weather to make it even better outdoors.

Jenn Jilks said...

Lots of fun!