Sunday, June 02, 2019

Car Washes: Then and Now

One morning last week, I drove along some muddy rural roads. I was looking for blossoms but didn't find any. All I accomplished was to make a total mess of the car.

Consequently. a few days later, I took it through the local, touchless car wash where there was no human in sight and robotics took care of the whole wash, something like the following two images.





As we were proceeding through the wash in the car, I recalled my first experience with car washes. We didn't own a car until 1962. We hadn't needed one in Montreal where public transportation was very good. While it would have been nice to have one, we got along well enough via streetcars and buses.

But then we moved from Montreal to Toronto, except that it wasn't really Toronto but well out on the fringes, even past the suburbs or most of suburbia at least.

Further to that, we lived on a nursery about 2 miles from the centre of the nearest settlement.

So ... we needed a car.

Car washes were a bit different in 1962.

Just look at all of the wash guys, or actually drying guys, in this photo that I found.




All through the car wash were stations where guys did this or that from hosing, to soaping,  to washing, to tire cleaning, and onto rinsing as we walked through the parallel corridor watching with interest.

I can't quite say how many guys (always guys) that it took to do the wash from beginning to end. Was it 20? It's just not clear in my mind at this point, but it must have been at least a dozen.

My vague impression is that the cost was around $2.50 - $3:00, but since I wasn't the one paying it doesn't stick out in my mind too much. Whatever, it was enough to pay all of those workers, along with a separate person (I think a woman) to relieve the customers of the requisite amount of cash in those times before inflation went through the roof.

My most recent wash cost $10 with nary a person involved, not even to take the money, which is no longer actual money but a plastic card.



9 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I uses a coin operated DIY carwash for years -- but have succumbed to the robot carwash that pulls you through whirling mops and exciting sprays -- it's the thrill of the thing. And at $5, it's about the price of all those quarters I uses at the DIY.

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t used a car wash in years. Robotics has taken over that business for sure!

Kay said...

Gosh... We haven't used a carwash in such a long time. My husband puts the car outside when it rains and then rinses it off.

Mara said...

I remember we once went through a car wash. My mum and dad up front, me and my sister in the back. My dad asked us: did you close the windows? Yes dad, we did. The wash started and my dad got a good soaking: he had not closed his window! He never asked us about his window and both me and my sister and my mum had seen it open! We are a nice bunch....

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never been to one of those fancy car wash.
Coffee is on

Jenn Jilks said...

JB was at one where there were actual humans. I cannot remember where. I like washing it, but it's too cold.
I love the old photo. Wow.

I lived in downtown Toronto for 25 years, we had a car, though, as we'd drive to the cottage every weekend.

William Kendall said...

I got a laugh out of Mara's comment.

Lustretouch said...

Nice blog ou are shared
car detailing at home

Auto Tec Group said...


Your perspective adds a refreshing angle to this topic—well articulated!


Carwash systems Suppliers Canada