Thursday, June 27, 2019

Wheels on the Mississippi

Wheels on the Mississippi takes place annually in Riverside Park by the Mississippi River (of Eastern Ontario). For a few hours, our quiet and serene park is transformed into a showplace for old cars. It's a very big show which overruns the whole park. The next day, the park is back to its natural state showing no signs of stress. It's quite remarkable, really.

It was a sunny and contrasty day, so there are many reflections in the cars, which can be distracting. A polarizer filter may have helped, but I chose to shoot with my wide angles lens that day, and I don't have a filter of that size. It doesn't matter; these are shots of a town event for the record.

Of the huge number of vehicles, I selected a few to photograph in passing, but I am not a car guy, so I have little to add to the photos, except for the first few.

Sue insisted that we photograph this unique gentleman who, aside from his look, really must like dogs.



The owner identified this vehicle as a rat rod. If I recall correctly, it was handmade back in the 30s. A discerning viewer will see a rat on the hood, which I show closer in the second photo, below. Inside there is a normal tungsten lightbulb to go along with the wood finish. The stereo speakers are mounted on the wall and may be home speakers. I like his sense of whimsy.






The rest. (Sorry for including so many photos in this and recent posts. It has just worked out that way. Normally, I try to keep posts to 4 or 5 photos.)










11 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoyed the car shots, AC, and am by no means a car person myself. That said, there’s a lot of color and beauty in seeing how folks have restored these autos, some to original specs and others quite creatively. That gentleman was a good subject.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Wow … that doesn't match the idea I have of a sedate and low key Canada. The guy in the first shot is having an absolute ball and I'm sure he loved being filmed. Fun blog AC.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What fun this must have been to experience. I love to see old cars. I think the people that restore them have a fascinating hobby (though not an inexpensive one).

Barbara Rogers said...

Ditto what everyone else said. Plus my enjoyment of the models/cutouts in the back of that last car. These folks have found joy in creating vehicles that have a lot of character...but I like vehicles that take me places. Road trips!

Marie Smith said...

That is an incredible shirt that man has on. The rat rod is amazing in its own way! Great photos.

Mage said...

You know me,. I like cars, and these are a lot of fun. Thanks for taking us along.

William Kendall said...

Cool cars!

Joanne Noragon said...

I like events where the local old guys congregate with their old cars, and tractors, and steam engines and...

Shammickite said...

Car people love their old cars, and all the extras that go with them. There's a big old car show at our local museum every August. Along with the cars there is live music and food, including the seasons first fresh corn on the cob.
The dog shirt is very confusing to the eyes, kind of scary that anyone would wear such a shirt.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the rat rod!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you about the cars. Not my thing. It's fun talking to the owners, though.
That is a cool dude!!!
I try to keep my photos down, but JB likes to see where we've been! It's the deal, if he drives, I take photos so he can see the scenery.