Thursday, June 06, 2019

A Reaction

I shake my head at the FB commentary that ensued when this video was posted. (Apologies if it doesn't play properly, but I describe it below.)



Just in the last week or two, a cyclist was killed in Ottawa by a hit-and-run driver.

Yesterday, a video was published of a motorist passing all sorts of stopped traffic on the right by using the bicycle lane. No, there weren't cyclists using it at the time, but it speaks of a cavalier attitude about safety and privilege, or perceived privilege at least, where you are more important than the rules that others adhere to.

So, when this was posted on FB, down what rabbit hole did the discussion descend?

Why it was, "Well cyclists sometimes are reckless too."

How does a photo about a motorist taking the law into his own hands (of course, it had to be a him) devolve into a ranting about cyclists? Where is the logic?

I wanted to post, "Stay on topic people. Your rantings are irrelevant to the post."

But I didn't ... because, as I have written here previously, I do try to remain out of the pointless fray on that medium.

While I suppose some might also call this post pointless, I think editorializing in my own space beyond a hit-and-run, pithy sentence is just fine.

Beyond that, I would also like to offer the small observation that when a cyclist is reckless, he endangers himself. But when a motorist is reckless, as in this case, he endangers the cyclist, and the results can be life-ending.

There are not exactly two equal things.







10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Good grief. How disgusting and dangerous! I agree with you!

Tabor said...

Totally agree AND the cyclist is being healthy and keeping the air clean. Of course some break the rules, but most follow them.

Silver in AZ said...

I'm assuming they were projecting that they do the same thing as that motorist. Jerks.

Shammickite said...

Facebook comments are usually rubbish and that's why I don't use it. Most responsible car drivers stick to the rules of the road, but the ones that don't are putting everyone in danger.

William Kendall said...

I am too often given to joining the fray when I see a remark I dislike.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's your blog. Say what you want; devil take the hindmost. Not to mention, you are right.

Vicki Lane said...

Good point. Yes, engaging in argument on FB is usually pretty frustrating.

Red said...

Your post is very accurate. Too many times people take the law into their own hands and get away with it.

Mage said...

Yes, we have clearly marked bike lanes too, yet accidents still happeden.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is the way of 'discussions' isn't it.
Vulnerable road users have a right to the road, and they must be aware that there are idiot drivers. In the end, the cyclists lose, and discussions do not seem to help!