Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Updating

Last week, I wrote two short posts about my early adventures with self-catheterizing. As I often do, I tried to be humourous. Hopefully, it worked, at least to some degree, for my humour can be very dry and not always obvious.

Now that I've been at this catheter business of self-abuse :-) for more than a week, I am thinking that maybe I should bring us up to date with a little more detail: not about the process, thank goodness, but about the whys and wherefores.

When I went in for my four-month dilation in June, the urologist suggested that we try this procedure. I was startled because I had hardly heard of it before. He explained that it may help to keep me open better and longer. Although I was rather shocked by the suggestion, I also thought that it would be rather nice to at least push the dilation interval back a little. After all, dilation not fun. Neither is self-catheterization fun, but it is bearable once you get the hang of it.

Sometime every morning, I do the deed, and there is not much more to tell. It stings a little but not much, and the process doesn't take long. I insert the tube until I flow, and then I gently pull it out.

We use a new, sealed, catheter every day. Sue has organized a system to keep the process as clean as possible. Although catheterization at home is not considered to be a sterile procedure, we want to get as close to that as possible, for you may recall that last year's surgeries and catheters led to prostatitis that required several bouts of strong antibiotics.

That's pretty well it, but since we're all together in this open and frank place, I shall also say a little something about my rotator cuff issues. I did eventually, have a cortisone shot a few weeks ago. The doctor targetted the most painful spot, a little above the bicep on the outside of my arm. It has worked fairly well. I wouldn't say that it's perfect, but I do appreciate quite a bit of relief. Having that particular area of pain reduced, however, I notice my actual shoulder more. There is kind of a grinding up there, almost like it tends to get stuck a bit. However, it is manageable and better than it was.

So we move along in this petty pace. We are watching a lot of Wimbledon coverage this week. We don't usually watch regular, network tv, preferring to stream specialty channels like Brtibox and Acorn. However, we signed up for the full sports package on TSN for July. Come August, we will have to get SN (sans T) for the Canadian Open. In September we'll go back to TSN for the US Open.

24 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Thank you for your descriptions of the process you're going through with catheterization. You come through as a teacher, I'm thinking, giving just enough details, and not complaining (too much) but I missed the humor in it. You better engage in some penile jokes soon. Shoulder problems, mfff!

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm sorry, that might be offensive. Remove it if you think so.

DJan said...

I had never heard of that procedure before outside of a hospital environment. I'm glad it's working for you, friend.

Ed said...

All I can say AC is that it is good that year aren’t a racehorse. You would have been led behind the barn awhile ago.

DrumMajor said...

Lots of people do self-cath for different lengths of time. (Wheelchair paralyzed folks do it, post surgery or neuorgenic bladder episodes, where the bladder won't constrict back down but the bladder needs emptying.) So now you understand those catheter Liberator Medical commercials on TV. Glad you've figured out a system. I recall the individual ones come with a bit of lube on them; you may want to apply a bit more on them, about an inch, not over the holes.
Might the shoulder shot doc give you some PT exercises for when the shoulder makes noise or hurts? I haae a bone spur on mine from hanging too many IV bags at the hospital. After one shot, the exercises are good if it hurts. Linda in Kansas

Marie Smith said...

It is good you can do the procedure yourself, AC. It gives you more freedom from medical personnel which, here at least, isn’t easy.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara. No problem with anything said. Other than that the attempted humour was in the two previous posts. This one was straightforward explanatory.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

AC, while this might not be a pleasant medical process for some to read about and others may choose not to read, it's what's happening in your life. What we choose to share as bloggers about our lives is a personal choice, but it seems that the longer we blog, the more familiar we become with other bloggers in the sense of regarding them as friends. And, as friends, we are curious about what is happening when they do share as you have done here.

Sandra said...

I spent a decade in medical care. Of others, not myself. I've seen it all. Literally. It seems you and Sue have this under control. Prostate issues seem to be a male rite of passage.

Jeanie said...

A petty pace can be a good thing. And it looks as though things are well in hand, safely done and while not pleasant, at least beating the dilation. I think we all care about each other and so it's good to hear you are taking care. And I'm glad the cortisone shot is helping.

NGS said...

Getting older isn't for the fainthearted, that's for sure. I'm glad you're able to do it without too much fuss.

PipeTobacco said...

I am glad the procedure is becoming a more structured “routine” for you and is not as painful sounding as I was imagining in my mind. I am also glad that Sue and you have a routine to try to keep things as close to sterile as it can be…. that will definitely be beneficial.

With what you wrote, I am kind of reading “behind the scenes” that the clinicians think that a once a day, brief catheter will help keep you more “open” throughout the remainder of the day and will assure better emptying of the bladder whenever you may need to go. Hopefully, there are no water consumption restrictions in place. Hydration is important.

PipeTobacco

RedPat said...

That sure doesn't sound like fun but if it works, good for you!

Margaret said...

None of our health issues are pleasant, are they? I'm glad that you're adjusting to the home catherization (sp?) and that your shoulder is better. John has had those shots but is now looking at surgery. (which is nasty)

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never had catheter.

Jenn Jilks said...

I get your self-depracating humour. Having managed Joe's cancer since 2013, you have to.
I'm glad you have some cortisone relief.
Good work with all this.

roentare said...

Daily change of catheter increases risk of urethral stricture and recurrent UTI. It is best to use silicon based long term catheter instead.

Red said...

I had a cortisone shot for my torn rotator cuff and it helped to relieve the pain so that I could carry on. Sounds like you're making the best of a bad situation.

gigi-hawaii said...

Seems like you have everything under control. Just don't get an infection down there. The last thing you need is a UTI.

Rosalea said...

Growing older is not for sissies. You sound like you are adjusting well, and doing what is necessary to reduce hospital visits, which is not a pleasant place to be nowadays. As one grows older, you realize that you can get used to just about anything if you have to.

Debby said...

I am glad that you found some amount of relief in your shoulder. It would make self catheterization a bit more difficult if you had a bum shoulder, I'd think. I'm sorry you are having this problem. It has to be discouraging, but thank goodness you have a sensible wife to help you.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I know, someday I will have something like that to look forward to. I cannot wait!

DB Stewart said...

Dude, your resilience is a lot like the spider in the previous post: you model for all of us how to hang on no matter where the car is heading. Thank you.

Granny Sue said...

You and Sue are pretty amazing. What a team! Younger folks have no idea that times like these are what marriage is all about. Being there, helping, caring, and even finding the humor in the situation, all that comes from deep love.