Monday, July 22, 2024

More from Athens

I would like to return us to Athens, for I have a few more photos to share. You have already seen murals and the fine old post office, but here is the other fine, old building.


I didn't get very close to it, but I could see that it now contains the police station and public washrooms, and I might assume some municipal functions.

Main Street looked typical a villages of this size with angled parking and older buildings with not-so-pretty storefronts at street level.


I decided to add those ↑ two photos since I have them, but I am really dropping this post in order to show the next two photos that appeal to me in some way.


This ↑ is a close-up of the poor, abused door that we see from across the road in the earlier photo. I like it as a photo subject but am glad that it is not my front door. I think it should find a resting place at Rideau Antiques with the hundred or so doors that are already languishing there.

I have already shown the ↓ mural in the previous post last week, but the adjacent property appealed to me. Right on Main Street, it was likely the home of a prominent citizen when it was advantageous to reside close to the town centre. I would think that it would still be considered to be a prime property.


Where shall Johnny and Susie go next? I can tell you that it will not be very far away.


16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

The adventures of Johnny & Susie are certainly lots of fun. Photos from the Rideau Antiques certainly are over whelming - so much stuff! (IMO)

Debby said...

Johnny and Susie are quite the gadabouts, aren't they? That's an interesting house. I wonder about the history of it. It looks like something you'd see in New Orleans.

DJan said...

I don't know where they will go next, but I'll be on board!

Vicki Lane said...

What a charming town!

Barbara Rogers said...

Whoever lives in 14-A must be a tiny type, just to fit through that doorway. It's so fun to see the "mansion" of the town next to the side of building mural! I think most of the town must be practical, then I noticed someone hung two baskets of flowers on the pole in front of those ugly storefronts.

Sandra said...

Wherever Johnny and Susie go they will enjoy themselves and they will have photos!i

Marie Smith said...

I look forward to their next excursion, however far it may be.

gigi-hawaii said...

I really like those stately buildings. Especially that white house with the stately Grecian columns in the last photo, befitting the name of Athens.

Margaret said...

I enjoy towns like that as my city doesn't have much character. We have the Meeker Mansion which was owned by a well-known hops grower named Ezra Meeker. That's about it.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a sweet town!

RedPat said...

I like your door shot and agree about the storefronts not being very attractive.

PipeTobacco said...

I really like the photo of the police station! Very beautiful building.

Your photo of the “Central Block” was a bit of a surprise today. It looks VERY similar to the building style in the older part of the town relatively near me where the cigar shop is located. Luckily, the doors are in better shape, though. 🙂

PipeTobacco

DB Stewart said...

Love pics of doors. They're stories. I remember doors in Rome and in Sicily, so many tales to imagine.

Red said...

This fine old house has been squeezed off main street by development.

Joanne Noragon said...

I love that door. I have a collection of great door pictures.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your road-tripping adventures are enjoyable and even if not very far away as there are always photo opps no matter where you happen to be, AC. That door looks as if has not received use in years.