Monday, July 15, 2024

There was a Question

There was a question in the Comments of the previous post. 

If you live in a townhouse, how come the HOA doesn't mow? Here that's one of the benefits.
We don't live in that kind of situation. We live in a townhouse, but it is not a condo with any sort of overall governance. All properties are separate, and we, essentially, have nothing to do with one another. New subdivisions have sprung up locally, and as far as I know, all of them are like our, older type of situation.


In any case, this ↑ is what our common easement behind our backyards looks like. It exists to give every owner access from the back of the lot. It looks rough because it is largely unused.  The lots are on the left; the fence on the right separates our properties from town land, mainly the road, on the other side.

In the 19 years that we've lived here, it has  been up to me to clear the way. Owners are, theoretically, responsible for the section behind their fence, but most do not bother. In fact, I am not sure that most understand that this is their obligation. The neighbour to our north, which is where I am standing to snap this photo doesn't even have a gate at the back because they have side access. They let bushes grow behind their property, so that I couldn't get by to mow, so I asked JJ and his dad to come over and clear them with their electric saw, and the result is the piles of brush that you see here and there down the path. They will been gathered and taken to the waste yard in due course.

Before the boys cleared the way

 I have recently whipper-snipped the easement because the grass had grown too high for the mower and also because it might have been difficult to push the mower past the piles of brush. It has been my job for the past 19 years to clear the way. I have been able to stretch the lawnmower cord from our yard to tend most of the path that you see in the photo. I was able to do 3.5 properties. The last 0.5 at the far end is now tended to by the newer owner, thank goodness. I say 0.5 because I never could extend the cord past their gate to do their full property.

Someone wondered the market value of modest properties like ours. I searched real estate online and was stunned to see the price of equivalent houses. I have no idea how younger families can afford to purchase any sort of home, never mind those larger detached homes.

There are perhaps eight newer subdivisions since we moved here, and the preponderance of homes seem to be townhouses like ours. When we moved here in '05, our street contained the majority of townhouses in the whole town, but they have proliferated since then.

We moved from Southwestern Ontario here to Eastern Ontario back in '05. Our townie here cost about 50% more than our previous house which was larger and sat on a larger lot. As pricey as it was then, its market value has appreciated almost 2.5 fold. It's crazy.

Although it was a very expensive move to a higher cost area, it was worth it be be close to Shauna and the grandkids. 

==================== 

Yesterday, we watched the men's tennis finals at Wimbledon. My goodness, I think that Mr Alcaraz may be the most talented and exciting  player that I have seen in the 50 years that I have been following the sport. I've seen them from Connors, Borg and McEnroe all the way through to the incredible trio of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic, but I don't think I've seen any player make so many shots that, metaphorically, lift me from my seat. Sue and I often look at each other in amazement during his matches.

Alcaraz is a Spaniard. Yesterday, Spain also won the European tournament over England, so I think it is fair to say that Spain had a good day. I don't usually follow soccer, but I did watch much of that game. Due to my ancestry, I was cheering for England, but Spain was pretty dominant.

====================

It is now 6:30 in the morning. I forced myself to stay in bed until past 5 even though I was awake. I keep hoping that I will get back to sleep. Occasionally, it happens.

This morning, Danica will come over for Sue to Dutch-braid her hair. Sue has often done a French braid for the girl but has taught herself the new braid just to please her grandkid. She watches YT videos and teaches herself. In fact, she took a photo of her practise attempt on wool. So, although I am ready to post at 6:30, I'll wait for m'lady to arise, so that I can get the photo.

I may not see Danica, for I have grocery shopping to do, for the pantry is looking a little bleak.

And . . . here's the photo: one of Sue's composites. Maybe I will post at some later time how it goes with Danica and her actual hair.






20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

That's good that you take the time & make the effort to keep the easement clear. We also have an easement between us & the farmer's field. We mow it as to keep the ticks & mosquitos at bay. Many use the easement as their personal property & have vegetable gardens, fire pits, above ground pools, etc. Our easement is owned by the farmer, so if anything should go awry, he would be liable. Any of the new homes built in our little village are so close together & have little yard - seems the newer generation don't want yard work.

Vicki Lane said...

The braiding is impressive! And it's interesting to understand your living situation.

DJan said...

I woke this morning very early and tried to stay in bed and get back to sleep, but it didn't work. I did manage to get some good rest last night, in any event. Love the braid and hope to see the finished work!

Rosalea said...

It was a warm night, so up early to get stuff done before the heat really kicks in.
How wide is that easement? Vehicle wide or just wheelbarrow wide? Assuming everyone has a gate through the fence for access? And is that really a stone wall next to town property???
Looking forward to seeing the braid in Danica's hair. I used to french braid mine before I whacked it all off...so much simpler to care for!

Anvilcloud said...

@Rosalee: it is wheelbarrow wide, maybe two. Yes, the gates are for access to backyards, other than through the house.

Boud said...

Thanks for the explanation about your neighborhood. It seems that townhouse is the term for attached homes, different language!

The easement seems to leave a lot of leeway for problems. Nobody to enforce mowing. I wonder if people think let AC do it!

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, 19 years of upkeep for the landlord...mmm. Just thinking of what if everyone had chipped in to have a landscape crew do it. OK, I'll come back down to earth. So glad you at least own your townhouse as its value has accrued. I do hope to see more of that braid...I used to do French braids when I had long brown hair. Now I chop it off and this summer am so very glad. Woke at 5:30 and got out of bed at 6:30 this morning...and outside doing some things before the heat came down. Watering porch plants and getting the mail. Big chores like that!

gigi-hawaii said...

I just hire a yardman and his crew for $70 per visit every other week. It's worth it, given our mobility issues. I don't follow sports that often, but know who Alcarez is. Good for Spain! Love the braid. Didn't know there are different types.

Jeanie said...

I never heard of Dutch braiding. Interesting. Does your HOA have a newsletter or periodic meeting? Seems like if people don't know they are responsible for the back, they should be reminded. It's wonderful for you and JJ and all to do all the work, but it would be nice of others helped out. And it might be a sticky wicket to go door to door to tell them yourself. (Nope. I wouldn't do that, either!) But if there is a "governance" of sort, that might be a good spot for a reminder. I think all houses have gone up a lot. I know mine has more than doubled what I paid for it in 1995, maybe even tripled. And yes I can see exactly why you would want to be closer to Shauna and company!

Marcia said...

So here's another question. If the town has erected the fence seen on the right in your photo why doesn't your property just open to that fence?

Karen said...

The price of real estate just amazes me. We built this house for a little over $45,000 (having previously bought the 100 acres of land for $25.000) in the 80s. In 2000 we did a major renovation. The present evaluation of the place is $800,000!!!!!

Sandra said...

Mark watched the finals yesterday and I saw bits of it. Alcarez is incredible.

Real estate has really gotten expensive. Everything has become too expensive. New cars, omg.

Margaret said...

It does seem unfair that you should have to maintain all those properties. But you don't mind? I've mowed the shared front lawn for the past six years or so with a handful of times that the neighbor has done so. However, I'm retired, live alone and they are working with 5 kids. Plus, I enjoy mowing! I can't believe how much my house is worth but even more, how much my rental (former) house has appreciated. It's 2 bedroom, one bathroom! I can understand why mine is worth more with 3 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms plus a bonus room.

Marie Smith said...

The Dutch braid is a new one for me. Interesting!

RedPat said...

Since you keep the easement tidy the other neighbours probably would never think of doing it.
I have never heard of a Dutch braid either.

Cloudia said...

Appreciated today's ruminations. Thanks for the visit! Aloha

Cloudia said...

Interesting ruminations today. Thanks for the visit, Aloha

roentare said...

These areas would have been classified as public area? I would leave them aloone. The composite picture by Sue is a great art!

PipeTobacco said...

When we retire, our current thought is to have a condo in a high rise building with a deck (cannot recall the term for one on an upper floor, “patio?”…. no, but you know what I mean). I’d like to be on at least the third floor. But, of course the idea may change when we actually do it.

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

I am impressed by hair braiding. The teenagers who wait in our dining room seem to do all these fancy braids by themselves.