Thursday, April 04, 2024

Windy Photoshoot

Sue had a prompt having to do with a movie scene. A local church had a kind of round tower. I guess the round part is actually a turret on top of a square tower.  She thought she might be able to work it into something to do with the theme. Spoiler Alert: she couldn't and went in another direction for her potd.

However, I used the opportunity to take some shots that I hadn't before. So here we go, all in monochrome.

We parked on a back street. We could see the tower from there, so the shooting began.


We crossed the street. I could see the tower over the garage. I have always liked this garage and have taken one or two photos in the past.


Continuing along the left side of the garage, I liked the porch at the back of the house to the right, above.


We crossed over to the property to get a closer look. The house was occupied by a lawyer, one with whom we had done business in the past. We thought he had moved across the street, and indeed the move is in the works.

It seemed like there were still files of some sort in the window.


I moseyed along, but Sue was taking more pictures when the lawyer came out wanting to know what we were up too. Sue engaged him nicely, but I didn't feel like coddling an old, rich man guarding his property. I understood, but I wasn't in the mood to make nice. Sue is always nice.

I walked along the side of the church.


When I got to the front, I took a few more photos.

I think this qualifies as a tower and turret, but I am willing to be corrected.



By the way this had been St Andrews Presbyterian Church for a hundred years or so. It is now an All Nations Church, whatever that might entail.

The church fronts on the main street. We had originally thought to continue walking up the street, but the wind was so ferocious that we turned tail after making a few purchases in the shop next to the church.

This took place on Tuesday. The wind was even worse yesterday, so after grocery shopping, I stomped my feet and refused to go walkies. By afternoon, rain was pelting against my den window. By evening, snow was covering the window. Early this morning, at 6am, we have a light covering of snow with, perhaps, more on the way..

I swear this happens every April, and sometimes even late in the month. This pleases no one.



17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a curious structure. It seems to be the result of a congregation that had a split (perhaps why it's no longer Presbyterian!) in the way they wanted the tower/spire to express their faith. Glad to see all the weathered wood on your first photos...it's always interesting.

RedPat said...

What an interesting tower. I would probably been like that lawyer out asking what you are up to as there seems to be so much weirdness in the world these days.

Sandra said...

I think it qualifies as a tower. We had really strong wind yesterday, too. It blew down a dead tree. That actually was ok, it was uprooted, so there won't be a stump and nothing was harmed. April is an iffy month.

The Furry Gnome said...

That's quite an unusual round turret on top of the square tower. My favourite is the files through the window. Here our scary spring storm forecast bringing lots of snow has brought approximately nothing!

Cloudia said...

Thank you AC! Aloha, I enjoyed 🌹

Liz Hinds said...

Fascinating turrets on the church. I think it was fair enough for the lawyer to wonder what Sue was doing.

Vicki Lane said...

Some very nice shots. The garage and the widow with the files are my favorites.

Marie Smith said...

The top of the tower is unusual indeed. Great captures!

Jenn Jilks said...

I quite like the B & W!
I cannot imagine a nicer couple to meet in the street. What a grump! I know there is a reason to be wary of strangers, but sheesh. Your Sue always dresses to the 9's.
We are the opposite at my house, I don't like making nice. JB is the peacekeeper!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Always enjoyable to see a B&W post, AC, and there will be no outdoor walking here as spring weather has regressed back to winter with a nor'easter bringing gusty winds and snow.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wonderful to see all these monochrome photos. Works beautifully with the old garage and peeling paint. Lovely church, also!

roentare said...

The church has a nice texture to it

Red said...

That's a lot of work on one photo. But you never know. something interesting might show up.

PipeTobacco said...

I truly love B&W photography, and the weathered building looks especially interesting in B&W.

I also love the sense of “harrumph-ness” that you described in not engaging with the fellow who was asking what you were doing. I feel that way many times myself when someone questions my activities even though they are harmless.

PipeTobacco

Granny Sue said...

Nice progression here. My favorite is the files in the window, quite a good prompt for writing a story I think! We have shared the wild weather. Been just miserable.

Debby said...

That church turret is very unusual. The exchange between Sue and your lawyer 'friend' is becoming all to common these days. Luckily there are people like Sue who can smooth those rough spots out. The world needs more Sues!

PS I have stomped my feet and refused to do walkies for the last two days. It is cold and it is wet and it is floody. Today it is supposed to snow.

MARY G said...

Of course.
I like the vertical rise shot. To [censored] with the owner.