Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Other Section of the Trail

The strong winds continue, so we headed to the more sheltered trail for our walk yesterday. For the sake of variety, we drove to a different part of the same trail that we normally walk. We haven't walked this section near the arena since before winter due to accessibility, but it makes a change now that the snow is gone.

Sue was looking for a photos of contours for her potd. She didn't use this ↓ one in the end, but it does shows how it currently looks hereabouts – bare branches for the most part. The grass is pretty green, though.

There is a patch of blue scillia by the path the ↑ photo, and I also found a patch of bloodroot off the trail. The wind was blowing too much (what else is new?) for photos, so I used my phone to take short video clips. The two clips combined are only 5 seconds long. I really should shoot for at least a few more seconds, but I do like to keep videos brief because I know that people have their list of blogs to consume.

Near the patch of bloodroot, a solitary Canada goose went floating down the river. I always feel sorry for lone geese. I wonder if it is the same loner that we see in the local pond. If it isn't, they should find each other and hang together.

The only other item of note was this vibrant patch of green plant amongst the bleak surroundings. I don't know what this plant is or if it will flower. If I walk by there again, I will ask my phone to identify it.

Surely we will soon get a break from the wind as well as the showers that it brings too often. I also look forward to seeing leaves on the trees. Our own tree out front is beginning to leaf, as is the lilac bush out back.


18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The winds are regularly gusting to 90 k here in a storm. Scary!

Granny Sue said...

It has been a windy spring here too. Certainly is cleaning the deadwood from the trees. The flowers are so pretty, bright spots before the trees leaf out. I think the bright green patch is daylilies.

Boud said...

We've had a lot of wind making colder walking despite sunshine. I like your mini video. I don't think I've seen blood root other than in preserved areas. It's lovely.

Vicki Lane said...

Our bloodroot is long gone. I'm enjoying your early spring.

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a lot of grey still on those trees...but that grass green, as well as the little flowers, do show some promise. That's a good idea to take videos when flowers are in the wind. I'll try it soon.

Ed said...

If I was a goose, that is exactly how I would spend my free times. Shooting the river and then flying upstream to do it again.

gigi-hawaii said...

It is amazing how the greenery really brightens the pictures.

Sandra said...

I also think the green is day lilies. It's been really windy here, too. The trees and bushes are starting to bud. Won't be long.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I dislike windy days! But I really enjoyed both of your videos. The one of the goose scooting along the river's current made me smile real big. I like the way photography makes one really look at ordinary things, and see more deeply than what just at first meets the eye. You and Sue are both really good at that. xoxo

Cloudia said...

Beautiful! I can smell spring in your post! Aloha!

Margaret said...

I thought my dogwood tree was dead (got trimmed last year) but it's now leafing out. When it starts to happen, it goes fast! I always think of geese and ducks as preferring to be in groups, so that lone one is sad.

roentare said...

The refreshing green is eye catching

RedPat said...

The sun actually came out down here this afternoon. We are a little further along into spring than you but not by much.

Liz Hinds said...

I've written this in response to your comment on my post but in case you don't look at that here it is:
AnvilCloud, in brief, a number of refugees fleeing persecution travel across the English channel in small boats - paying lots of money to unscrupulous people and risking their lives in treacherous conditions. The government responds - if they're caught - by putting them in prison-like camps and now they have this appalling and very expensive scheme to fly a small number of refugees out to Rwanda, a country recognised as unsafe for LGBTQ people and others. There has been uproar and battles against it. The UN has said Britain is breaking international law but the Tories don't care.

Debby said...

Perhaps you could set up a goose matchmaking site! Your lonely goose looks like a fun loving guy.

I remember once that I saw a pigeon walking in an old barn. This bird moved slowly. It looked sad. I don't know how to describe it. It just seemed very low. I followed it, talking to it. It never flew it just walked through the barn. It led me to the body of a dead pigeon, and it walked around it slowly, making low sad sounds.

That night, I sat down and read up on pigeons. They mate for life as well. I did not have a clue until I saw a pigeon with a broken heart.

MARY G said...

That bird was really moving! It will be interesting to see what the bright green turns out to be. Around our yard it would be an orange lily, if, and that is a big if, a deer had not eaten the bud.
The curves in the path came out quite well.

The Furry Gnome said...

Enjoyed those little video clips.

Patio Postcards said...

What a lovely place to walk & enjoy the unfolding of spring.