Monday, April 29, 2024

Not Too Sharp

I was progressing through your posts when my watch beeped to inform me that I had 4h 20m of sleep last night. To add insult to injury it further revealed that only 3h 50m were restful. However, the situation cannot be quite that grim, for it has me going to sleep at 1:20, and I am pretty sure that we can add an extra hour. Sometimes the tracker gives me an extra hour while at other times it seems to take one away. For the most part, however, the morning report seems to jive pretty closely with what I feel that I have experienced.

I often wish that I could sleep longer. I prefer my sleep duration report to begin with a 6. It's when I have several consecutive nights of 5 or fewer hours that I get overtired and a wee bit cranky. However, even when my nights are too short, a 10 minute afternoon nap will often provide my decrepit and aging body enough juice to get by.

Oddly enough, I was just, this morning, contemplating, and not for the first time, how Sue and I have gone in opposite directions. For much of our lives together, we would keep similar hours, something around 8. Then, as we got into late middle age and early seniordumb, we went in opposite directions. She now requires something closer to 10 hours or even a little more. I have gone in the opposite direction, and, as I have noted, can seldom manage 6 hours. Sue can barely stay up until 9pm while I am currently having trouble getting to sleep before midnight. Then, except for the very rare occasion, I am up an hour, or two, or even more before her in the morning. This morning, I had my 2 cups before she stirred.

Now, there was something else that I was going to blog about this morning. It was a notion from reading one of your posts. But I didn't write it down, so I don't remember what it was or from what post I got the idea.

Perhaps if I'd had more that 3h 50m of restful sleep, I would be a little be sharper. Eh?



23 comments:

Boud said...

I'm blessed with sleeping about seven hours a night, no problem except for dreams not all of which I like! I sometimes drop off reading in the afternoon, sometimes holding a cup of tea oops.

Ed said...

I am always amazed at how just a bit of sleep can "juice" your body. Sometimes after some poor sleep, I just can't keep my eyes open no matter how hard I try and will succumb to a ten minute nap. When I wake and realize that I lost ten minutes of time, my mind and body will feel rejuvenated and I can go about the rest of the day just fine. The problem is stopping at ten minutes versus an hour. If I go long, then I pay for it with sleeplessness that evening and the poor sleep cycle continues.

Barbara Rogers said...

Couldn't get to sleep last night for anything (and I take one pill to help that, and another with "side effect of drowseyness" - no luck. So rather than tossing a bit, I got a short glass of almond milk and 2 crackers. Didn't have any cookies. It worked. Dawn woke me and I determined to get out of bed, maybe 15 minutes later...

Sandra said...

I had sleep problems since childhood. Several years ago I started taking melatonin and it changed everything for me. I still have the occasional sleepless night, but not too often. I would also be more than a wee bit cranky.

gigi-hawaii said...

I hear you! I get 5-6 hours and that is all.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for addressing this. I too get 5 hours now, when recently I was getting six for a long time..... Good to know. Even in the pre-dawn hours I am not alone but but have my blogging friends! Thank you aloha

RedPat said...

I'm thrilled when I get 8 hours but it is usually between 6 & 7 and I wish I could do more but can not fall back to sleep.

Marie Smith said...

Wish I could sleep like Sue! I am more like you though, AC. Naps fill the gap!

Jenn Jilks said...

I spent so many years worrying about kids and sleep. I don't mind not sleeping, as you say naps are a good thing.
I'm waking up at 6 or so. Sometimes 5, and JB doesn't go to bed until after that. I konk out reading! Then wake and worry about things. sigh.

roentare said...

Usually sleep quality improves when you have sufficient physical activity during the day or mental exhaustion.

Marcia said...

It's a wonder that you don't have to have more naps during the day. I need at least one and I get 8 hours sleep and sometimes more.

Red said...

Nice ending. This happens to me too.

Margaret said...

My sleep is usually broken up a bit but I try for 8 hours. I'm not a napper so I have to do the best I can at night!

Joanne Noragon said...

For years I slept nine or ten hours a night. Now I'm back to seven or eight.

PipeTobacco said...

I am NOT applying this to YOU in any way, but that your title today reminded me of a favorite quote often stated by Foghorn Leghorn, “I say, yes, I do say, that there feller is about as sharp as a bowling ball!”

For some reason that statement always tickled me when I would hear it.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

I am NOT applying this to YOU in any way, but that your title today reminded me of a favorite quote often stated by Foghorn Leghorn, “I say, yes, I do say, that there feller is about as sharp as a bowling ball!”

For some reason that statement always tickled me when I would hear it.

PipeTobacco

Vicki Lane said...

I recently saw a meme that resonated with me and my husband too.

"When I was young and had to go to bed at 8:30, I looked forward to getting older and going to bed whenever I chose. Turns out that's 8:30."

MARY G said...

Yep. That's about .... uh, lost my thought there. G'night.

DJan said...

I usually get at least eight hours of good sleep, but occasionally less or more. I really can't function well if I don't get enough sleep.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I so envy Sue the ability to sleep for that long. I would love to! Like you, I am rarely asleep before midnight. I do get more than 3-5 hours though, except my problem is that a few nights a week I wake up at 3 or 4 or even 5 in the morning, still tired and sleepy but unable to go back to sleep for one or two hours! It is so frustrating. I should just get up but I'm so tired I wonder how productive a time that would be. Also I am lazy, hahaa xoxo

Jeanie said...

I'm curious about your tracker. I think I'd like one -- but then I think I might obsess a little too much if I had one.I have to say I sleep MUCH better since we switched back to daylight time. It's like I picked up an hour of rest.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When i had a Fitbit, I would wear it to sleep for tracking purposes. it would be quite frustrating to see the results so when I ditched it in favor of an Apple watch, I decided not to track sleep and a tually sleep much better, thank you.

Kay said...

10 hours?!? Wow! That is awesome! I keep hoping for 8, but end up with 6.5 or so at best. If I get 7 I'm thrilled. Art sleeps longer than me but his watch always records a lower percentage. Weird.