Sunday, April 14, 2024

Daffs and Things

I just have two unrelated photos and a video to share in today's post.

I am surprised to see a daffodil blooming in what will be a clump of tulips in a few weeks. I planted daffodils years ago. I don't think we've any any for the past few years, and yet, there it is.


To confound me even more, I saw another daffodil bud a little later in a different spot.  It is a little behind in its development but should flower soon. It's good because I like daffodils, even these old-fashioned, generic ones. We had a mass of them in our previous abode.

I took that ↑ photo with my telephote lens, because I didn't want to fuss about much in the rain. However, I was also able to use it for this next photo. Sue was out yesterday, and I had a free coffee offer about to expire, so I took the coffee and a donut to our usual hangout near the boat launch. I used the telephoto from the driver's seat to capture part the tree across the way.


Posting that Canadian English video  the other day has led to more suggestions from YT. This one is by a British lady, but includes our same Canadian guy and an American lady. The British host showed pictures of objects and asked both the Canadian and American what they called that object. Then she shared what Brits would call the same thing. It's about 20 minutes long if the topic interests you.


21 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I enjoyed the comparison of different words of English depending upon your country. It would be fun also to hear how English speakers from other countries state their choices, ie India, South Africa etc. I sure wouldn't have known what a two four was in Canada, and somehow nobody told me what a looney or tooney were. Interesting for sure!

RedPat said...

We do have or own words for things which I find kind of comforting for some reason.

Sandra said...

I say soda, but many people here say pop. Sofa, restroom, check. Parking ramp.

Margaret said...

Language is fascinating to this language teacher! Even amongst English speakers, there are so many differences. I get surprises from garden bulbs that awaken unexpectedly.

MARY G said...

Watched the videos and chortled to myself. JG thinks I have finally lost it because from there I went to the Canadian swimming championships.
The daff shot is classy, very. And I like the misty tree. I do not like the weather, but, hey, April in the Ottawa Valley? At least nothing blew down on the power, um, electrical, um, hydro lines.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Fun videos and the different ways that the same things are described is always quite ingteresting and often amusing. I have always liked the fact that the act of vacuuming as it is called here goes by the word hoovering in the UK or at least it has in older films I've watched.

I saw the first daffodils in bloom today. Our weather has not been very springlike of late.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like that tree picture. It brings out the best in the bark and branch patterns.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a surprise to be daffied! I have a couple of rogue tulips that never bloom, in an odd spot of the garden.

Vicki Lane said...

I enjoyed the video! I was familiar with the British (and the American, of course) but some of the Canadian usages were entirely new to me.

Jeanie said...

I'm SO glad to finally see the daffs!

roentare said...

The black and white take of gnarled branches is very cool.

Marie Smith said...

The daffodil photo is a keeper.

Barbara Rogers said...

You're the only blogger I know who uses an iPad or some tablet to put together some blogs. What program app? are you using? I got a new iPad and can't figure out whether the blog app or the Blogger Plus app should work. So far neither one!

Anvilcloud said...

There’s not secret. I just open Blogger in a browser like I do on the computer. But I’ve only done it on occasion, and just when I am using text and not photos. I really do 99.99% on the computer.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks. I had the wrong app going! Still working on learning how it works! But I'm one of us techie seniors (as much as I can be)

gigi-hawaii said...

Love daffs but we don't have them in Hawaii.

PipeTobacco said...

The one word missing that I often use is “Davenport” for sofa or couch.

PipeTobacco

peppylady (Dora) said...

No daffs for me.

Cloudia said...

Beautiful flowers and a few moments of amusement. Thank you very much my friend! Aloha

Jenny the Pirate said...

I like generic daffodils too. And I see a dead person hanging upside down in the tree picture, which I love (not the dead person hanging upside down, but the tree picture) ... what is wrong with me? hahahaha xoxo

Granny Sue said...

How cool to have the volunteer daffydowndillies! They pop up everywhere here on our land. So I assume the birds somehow help? There were still daffodils blooming where I was over the weekend, because their weather is more closely aligned with yours in Canada-- higher elevation.
I enjoyed the video. I grew up calling cold drinks Coke, no matter what brand, but here i WV I adopted the local "pop". In our Appalachian region, we have quite a few regional terms that are not used in other parts of the US, and I suppose that is true across the country.