Thursday, April 11, 2024

Early Spring Flowers

I have already posted both snowdrops and crocuses, but more flowers are poking through. So far, most are little and close to the ground.

There are some in the park where someone has planted them around a boulder at some point. There are crocuses here, but they are just about done. I don't know what this flower is. 

double exposure

I had purchased a little portable and extendable seat after photographing the snowdrops a few weeks ago. Sue took a photo. Frankly, I barely recognize myself and think it would have taken me some staring to figure that it was me, if I didn't already know. This is not how I picture myself, but it is reality. Whatever the case, I am still young in my dreams.

Who is that old man?


The daffodils are beginning to bloom. This is from the same spot: a bud with other daffodil blooms as an overlay in this double exposure.


From the park, we continued along the trail. Eventually we discovered a patch of little white flowers. Some online searching leads me to believe that they are Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis), but I am not certain. Whatever they are, it's my favourite photo of the day.


Later that day, I drove to another spot, where I have previously seen crocuses. I think these flowers are Siberian Squills or just Scillia. If they are, they are considered to be invasive. It was breezy. I did my best. (The middle photo is a double exposure.) 

By the way, I just lay on the ground for these.




I guess tulips will be the next flower to bloom, but they are still probably a week to two off. I am not sure if the forget-me-nots bloom before or after the tulips.


15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Aren't spring flowers fun? And exercise for the gentleman photographer too! Yes I'd agree on Bloodroot flowers. The double exposures aren't working for me today. But hey, it's your blog! I like the little blue daisy types and don't know what they are1

Sandra said...

I so hear you about not recognizing yourself. I don't know who that old lady is in the mirror! The flowers are pretty and I also like the white flowers photo best.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are excellent!
I am still employed, but not doing a good job, in my dreams!!!

Ed said...

I try to avoid mirrors in general. I hate surprises!

Marie Smith said...

My favourite is the second last photo! A beauty.

RedPat said...

I love it when Scillia spreads. It is like a sea of blue.

Cloudia said...

I love your very good photographs here. AC! Yes I know what you mean. Grandma was right. We always feel young. And in regard to your comments at my place, I too am scattered much of the time. That's why I love the 7-second replay on the DVR LOL. Aloha friend!

The Furry Gnome said...

Don't tell me you look old, cause you look just like me! //////great shot of the Bloodroot, and some nice double exposure work here. I think that first purple flower is the candelabra form of Primrose.

roentare said...

A series of good bokeh on display

DB Stewart said...

What Ed said.
Still waiting for Spring flowers.

MARY G said...

Oh lovely. But, the double exposure did not work for me as I struggled not to see a spoonbill beak.
Daffodils, perhaps. We have violets, but it is a problem to post the scent.

Granny Sue said...

Interesting experiments. I like the daffodil bud and the bloodroot best I think. As for seeing ourselves...well, I feel your pain!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't have squills.

Margaret said...

Love the flowers and I too am hating photos of myself these days!

Kay said...

I am so impressed with your photos, John. But I have to say I'm loving that photo of you best.