Monday, April 01, 2024

Where She Stood

Sue's potd on Friday was Where I Stand: the 'I' being Sue, of course.

She had seen on FB that the town has new light displays downtown, and she thought they would make for a unique photo. In her third year of following daily prompts, unique is not always easy to find. 

We hadn't seen the projections or where they were located, but we found our first splash of light on the sidewalk shortly after the 7:30 sunset. This was her first photo and the one that she eventually posted to the group.


Here is another using the same projection.


We ended up finding several other projections, Here are two of them.



Finally, we came to one with town hall in the background. It was her photoshoot, but when she can't take pictures of herself, she will use me as her tripod. So, she positioned me to see what composition she might like for herself.


We switched places, and I took a similar photo.


There are things that one doesn't notice at the time, but despite it remaining the same scene, her photo of me was the better composition. My pose had a gap between me and the lamppost, which was better than her being right next to it in my opinion. She also got the apex of the projection centered better, for I had been concentrating more on the town hall part.

This setting has potential, and I'd like to try this again sometime with my camera and using the tripod, for it was too cold for me to want to fiddle with tripods and settings on that evening. I think that I would have to eliminate that horrid streetlight in post. As long as I were to keep it over the sky and not the building that shouldn't be too hard to do, but perhaps we shall see.

We walked around and looked at the bridge lights once again, and of course I took a shot.


I was just passing-by this time, so I knew that it wouldn't be my best result, but sometimes you take the shot regardless.


22 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

That's so great that the two of you have fun with taking photos.

Patio Postcards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Rogers said...

Amazing that crowds of people aren't out there doing the same thing! Such a pretty little town. It's always a joy to hear about your two endeavors in photography. The last shot is spooky in my small opinion.

Sandra said...

You live in a lovely town. I think it's wonderful you both share an interest in photography.

gigi-hawaii said...

Kudos to your town for using these projections to promote art. Just love it!

Marie Smith said...

The lights make a nice addition to the town and the photos!

NGS said...

The one with the hat!! Perfect!

The Furry Gnome said...

Those are really neat light patterns on the sidewalk.

RedPat said...

Good shots for Sue's project.

Margaret said...

Those lights are wonderful and I enjoy your analysis about why one shot works better than the other. I agree!

Marcia said...

So how do they do those projections?

Joanne Noragon said...

I really like the lights and Sue's compositions. And the bridge shot.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, those are very nice!

Anvilcloud said...

@Marcia: Look at the pic of Sue by the pole with town hall in the bg. There is something above her head that projects the image onto the sidewalk.

Red said...

Sue gets some interesting challenges and then she has a good assistant to help.

Debby said...

I actually love that last shot quite a lot!!!

I think my favorite 'where am I' was the shadow in the middle of the circle. That was great!

roentare said...

The light projections look very nice indeed. I often visited shows that do colourful light projections so I get to experiment with the shots.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done! I enjoy POTD!

I heard about the grass fire out your way. How sad.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ooooh I love those light displays! Y'all's town hall shots remind me of a few weeks ago when TG and I were at Wormsloe. I took his picture standing by the big silo, then I made him study the pic to see exactly where the overhanging live oak branches, and the trunk of that tree, were positioned in the photo. Do mine just like that! I commanded. It took a few tries but we got it, hahaha! xoxo

PipeTobacco said...

Those projections and the photos you both took using them are very cool.

PipeTobacco

Jeanie said...

those light displays are fun. And I love the photo of the bridge!

MARY G said...

Your 'regardless' shot is a nice one. I see what you mean about setting up the town hall and the gaps, but to get optimum, you would probably have to take a succession with small moves and small incremental lifts of the camera. Maybe in July? With moths?