Thursday, April 18, 2024

Feeling Swamped

I walked with Sue sans camera on a day when I didn't expect to see anything worth photographing. However, when I spied a couple looking outward over a swampy area from one of the footbridges, I asked them what they had were seeing. They has spotted two turtles.

I only saw one smallish turtle on a . . . well let me show you rather than describe it.

Except I didn't see that ↑ turtle at that time. The one that I did see then did not have its back turned toward me. Rather, it was a smaller one, in profile and looking pretty darn photogenic.

Knowing that turtles are not necessarily quick (although the story goes that they can defeat hares in a race), I decided to return after walking all of the way back to the car. From there, I drove back to the house to retrieve my camera. By the time that I got back to the swamp scene, big turtle had displaced little turtle and had also turned its back to the camera, which I found excessively rude. Of course I took the shot anyway because watchagunnadoo?

Whilst there, I also took a photo of a bit of swamp vegetation. All I can say is that the green is nice right now and looked pretty night in the light. Yes, there is that at least.

One does one's best under the circumstances.

19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Turtles just aren't cooperative animals!

Marie Smith said...

A turtle is a wonderful find. Love the green!

Jeanie said...

Pretty huge turtles! I hate it when I don't have my camera and see something wonderful!

Boud said...

Join the club of people struggling to get pictures of turtles!

Marcia said...

A dedicate photographer - that's you!

Sandra said...

I don't remember the last time I saw a turtle. Your photos turned out very good.

Granny Sue said...

Great photos, the last is really atmospheric. It was worth your trouble to get a camera. Isn't that always the way, though? I took a little walk at camp, no camera, and kicked myself all the way and back. So many things to photograph!

Ed said...

They say the best camera is the one you have WITH you when you see a picture worth taking.

Yael said...

You seem to have wonderful places to travel in your area, the pictures are great.

MARY G said...

They say you should always carry the camera. But that can be a bind.
Shame on that turtle. I hope it lost its posing fee.

Barwitzki said...

Thanks for the turtle... we don't have any!
I immediately thought of beavers when I saw the picture.
Your second photo with the swamp grass is also very beautiful... we now have this beautiful light green in the forest... it looks heavenly.
A warm greeting goes to you.

Cloudia said...

Leaving home without your camera. Guarantees seeing something interesting! Thank you AC Aloha

Margaret said...

I find turtles very cute; I didn't know about their attitude! :)

RedPat said...

That was inconsiderate of the turtle to leave but maybe you forgot to tell him that you would be back.

Vicki Lane said...

The swamp vegetation is definitely photo-worthy.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Cute little critter, even if he did turn out to be camera shy. Thanks for running back for your camera!

roentare said...

The turtle is looking cute

Jenn Jilks said...

Good for you for going back!

Sadly, the green is a bit of invasive frog bit.

Kay said...

Thank you for trying.
This reminds me of a teacher friend in Illinois who was deathly afraid of turtles. I had a pair of cute turtle earrings that I could never wear because then she couldn't look at me.