Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Back Problems Then and Now

Shauna had quite a back attack over the weekend, and it lingers on. We trust that they are just muscle spasms that will pass. Having said that, I do know how painful spasms can be, for I have had my share. The good news is that they usually subside within a few days.

The kids drove into her workplace on Sunday to bring her laptop home, so she could get some necessary work done yesterday, as difficult as that might be.

The thought of working at home with a bad back takes me back thirty years, and it was at this exact time of year in '94.

Except at that time, I was suffering from bulging discs that sent significant pain shooting down my leg. While spasms usually resolve themselves in a few days, this disc episode endured for two months. I pretty well lived life on the floor for much of that time. I can remember getting up to eat at the table before rushing back to the floor as the pain built up. I slept on the floor at night because we had a waterbed back then, and that would have been all wrong for my condition at the time.

I remember working on the floor. It was exam time, so I set exams while lying facedown on the floor with the computer  in front of me. Once the exams were written, I marked them from my recumbent position. Then, when the new semester started, the teacher who was to take my place for the first few weeks visited me on the floor as I passed on to her various materials that she could use.

From the partial numbness in my leg and foot, I know that these three decades later the discs are still out of whack. Said numbness has persisted in my leg for thirty years. Sometime along the way, especially in the past decade, it spread to my foot.

However, even though the back is weak, at least I haven't had another major attack since early '94. Of course, I have had a few spasm episodes such as what Shauna is currently experiencing.

I have just learned that she needs to go into work today to get a payroll completed. It's an unusual one due to the Easter holiday and extra pay for those who worked the holiday. I have offered to drive her there, but in the past, I have experienced that I could be comfortable in the car although getting in and out can be problematic.


13 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm so sorry she has to go into work. When spasms hit they can knock you to the floor. I've experienced it but nothing like what you described. That was awful.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh no! Another back pain problem! Your history as a teacher continuing to work from home is pretty incredible. I do hope your daughter is able to do what needs done and can return to resting quickly. I have a friend who has scoliosis and is going through new back pain problems. Lying down is the answer, or sometimes just sitting. But standing is terrible, so she does it quickly between places she can sit. She has received some heavy duty pain meds at least.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Being in pain sucks. It affects you demeaner towards others and yourself. I hope it is short-lived.

Ed said...

I had back spasms a few times in my younger years but oddly enough now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I've had one. Perhaps a couple decades or so. I'd like to think I'm more careful about how I use my back muscles but perhaps it has something to do with the aging process. Perhaps as I get older, they just get flabby and weak and there isn't much left to strain.

Jenny the Pirate said...

This is a dreadful episode for Shauna. I pray that she'll get full relief very soon. xoxo

Margaret said...

Poor Shauna! Back issues run in my family; I would like to say that it's made me more careful, but that would be a lie. I can't imagine lying on the floor for that amount of time. We had a waterbed too! (until 8 years ago) Hope Shauna recovers soon!

DrumMajor said...

Goodness! Can't she go to the doc? If the home diagnosis is correct, some type of pain reliever could help along with a mild muscle relaxant like Flexeril or even half of a tablet would be helpful. Linda in Kansas

Vicki Lane said...

Back spasms are AWFUL! I get them now and then but have learned to sit daown and relax at the first twinge.

DJan said...

I too have experienced those back issues, but I always found that if I continued to move normally even through pain, it would get better and even recede. I don't think discs out of alignment fix themselves, however.

Debby said...



I hope that Shauna gets over this soon. Your family has really had some struggles in the past year. All of you.

Red said...

Back pain is quite debilitating. Since it's common you'd think there should be some type of therapy to help.

Jeanie said...

I can relate to the getting in and out of the car. I feel Shauna's pain. I'm sorry she had to get into work. I hope your taking her at least made it a bit easier.

MARY G said...

All my best wishes to Shauna that this too shall pass and not come back. I get back spasms almost daily from degenerated discs. So I am sending sympathy from the trenches.